Myriad Botanical Garden and more importantly OKC Memorial & Museum


Advertisement
Published: April 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

18 years ago on April 19, 1995 Timothy McVeigh and his cohort decided to destroy the innocence of America. Even moreso, the innocence of Oklahoma City. Since I had known that I was coming to Oklahoma-one of the top visits were going to be the OKC Memorial. Before 9-11, April 19th happened. While I was in Minnesota, awaiting my first nephew (who came 3 days later on April 22) a bomb exploded on a r... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Memorial for those who diedMemorial for those who died
Memorial for those who died

Touching tribute to those lives that were lost. The family added some things to remember them by. Each has a name, story, family. So sad.
Hands of innocentHands of innocent
Hands of innocent

Another show of outpouring support from across the nation and the world. These are tiles from children all over in the days proceeding April 19, 1995.
Justice will prevailJustice will prevail
Justice will prevail

As it was the of April 19, 1995. A Rescue worker painted this. This building was across from the building that was destroyed. People were hurt in this adjacent building but no one died.
When life will never be the same-9:03When life will never be the same-9:03
When life will never be the same-9:03

Life will never be the same
The chairsThe chairs
The chairs

Rows of chairs from the Surviving Tree area. At night, they are light up underneath. All chairs have names of the victim it is representing.
ChairsChairs
Chairs

Chairs in 9 rows-representing the victims of OKC and the floor that they were on. The smaller chairs represent the children that were lost (19), just about all were on the 2nd floor in the daycare.
Survivor treeSurvivor tree
Survivor tree

Tree was burnt but survived. The city was going to take it down, not only because they thought it was dead now but also because debris was embedded in the trunk. Thankfully the tree came back to life and represents hope, among other things. They decided to leave it, especially because they had enough evidence against Tim McVeigh.
The Redbud treeThe Redbud tree
The Redbud tree

Oklahoma state tree is the Redbud. They decided to surround the Surviving tree with Redbud representing the people of OK that came to help. Beyond that circle, they used two other types of trees to represent the rest of America that came to help that day and the days that followed. — at Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum.
The wall that survivedThe wall that survived
The wall that survived

Part of the original building that decided it did not want to fall down during that day, during that evening's heavy storm by mother nature, nor did it fall during demolition. They decided that it was meant to stand.
Survivor's plaqueSurvivor's plaque
Survivor's plaque

With names of the survivors of April 19, 1995, these plaques are mounted on the wall that remains of the orginal building. A ground's keeper that spoke about the memorial site, said that they just added a name to the plaque in March 2013. He said that many people moved away from OKC after April 19th to live their life or try to; some did not know or want to know about the memorial. To many memories-which is understandable.
Jesus weptJesus wept
Jesus wept

There was a church across the street that was damaged. Post April 19, 1995-they decided to remember the victims as well and this is what they came up with. I am not religious but I think it is appropriate.



20th May 2013

I\'m bored at work and was scanning through blogs. We\'ll be in Oklahoma City in two weeks and are planning to go to the memorial. Your statement \"I often ask myself why anyone would do this?\" is exactly right. Every time there\'s a terrorist act, I wonder why and how. How can anybody think it\'s okay to harm people, period, but especially random, unknown people?

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb