Springdale, Arkansas to Elk City Oklahoma - 373 Miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Elk City
April 27th 2016
Published: April 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Learnt something new about the iPhone today. While it can be on mute you still get that wake up call. What you don't get on mute are emergency alerts. At 12:41am there was a tornado alert in Springdale to take shelter. I woke up at some point hearing thunder, but just grunted and went back to sleep rather than seek the basement of the Quality Inn. I suspect this Inn had bed bugs so a night in the basement may have been worse than the tornado. When I got out to the bike in the morning it was still standing, not even twisted around. The sky was crystal blue and the air fresh as is true after a good overnight rain. It was the start of a 70/70 day. A perfect 70F and maintaining a speed of 70 for most of the day.

Started of on Route 412 which quickly became the Cimarron Turnpike - same road you just pay for it. Seems very few people but me do. Found this great quote:

"You could have a picnic right in the middle of the road and not have a bit of trouble," conceded John Smolley Jr., administrative assistant to the Turnpike Authority.

Stopped for lunch in Tulsa. You could have a picnic in Main Street there too. Tried a BBQ joint, but was only 1/2 pleased, great beans, slaw and chicken, but not so good ribs. Give me Phil's (not me) baby backs anytime. These big city mid-west towns try to be cities, but never seem to escape the small town feel even with a conference center, museums and the like. The green hills peeking out in the distance from just about any street vista just do them in. I did see that Leon Russell was giving a concert there (I am a big fan from way back) and indeed he is from Tulsa.

The original plan was to toddle across Oklahoma all the way to New Mexico, but wanted to keep the schedule with Rob so cut south on I35 skirted Oklahoma City and continued along I 40 to Elk City. The home of the Route 66 museum. I am now in reach of Santa Fe and meeting up with Rob for the shared part of the adventure.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb