The 7 Top Ohio Attractions for Travelers


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio
February 19th 2016
Published: February 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Located in the Midwest, Ohio once used the slogan "The Heart of It All" to describe its location as the heart of America. The state boasts dozens of attractions that range from museums that teach you about the history of music to amazing sports teams like the Cleveland Indians and Columbus Blue Jackets. Whether you want to stay closer to the north and visit cities like Cleveland or your trip takes you a little further south into Cincinnati, make sure that you check out some of the top things to see and do all across the state.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame



Cleveland, Ohio may seem like an odd place for a museum dedicated to rock music, but a DJ working in the city actually coined the term rock and roll. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is now a can't-miss destination in the state. It boasts everything from costumes that Elvis wore on stage to cars driven by your favorite musicians in their personal lives. The museum is also home to an annual event that inducts artists and bands into the Hall of Fame, but if you want to attend that ceremony, you need to buy your tickets in advance.

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium



If you watched talk shows before, you might know the name Jack Hanna. Hanna is one of the leading experts in the field of zoology and considers the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium his home base. He spent years as the director of the zoo and helped turn it into one of the top zoos in the world. The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium helped save a number of endangered animals through its breeding programs. You can now visit and see everything from cheetahs and jaguars to snakes and flamingos for yourself.

Cincinnati Museum Center



The Cincinnati Museum Center, also called the Cincinnati Museum Center at Terminal Station, is one of the top museums in the state. Located inside the former public transportation station, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, it boasts a number of amazing exhibits that you should see with your own eyes. The natural history portion of the museum features dinosaur skeletons, but you'll also have the chance to walk through a real life bat cave. It also has a museum devoted to the history of Cincinnati and its own IMAX theater.

The Wilds



After visiting a zoo or looking at the experiences that others had with wild life at the Outdoor Traveler's blog and similar sites, you might wish that you had the chance to get up close to real animals too. The Wilds, which is just a short drive from Columbus, helps you make that happen. This unique attraction has several species of animals living in the wild. You can take a bus tour to see animals from around the world just feet away from you. Some of the tours even let you interact and feed those animals. The Wilds also has yurts available for nightly rentals that come with your own private overlook.

Cedar Point



Anyone who loves thrill rides will love Cedar Point. Often called one of the best amusement parks in the world, Cedar Point is home to some of the fastest and largest roller coasters. Even if you're not a fan of thrill rides, you'll find something you love about this park. You can cool off in the water park or on one of the log rides, watch one of the live shows that take place every day or try your hand at one of the carnival games nearby. Cedar Point is conveniently located near a number of hotels and resorts too.

Carillon Historic Park



If your trip to the Buckeye State takes you to Dayton, make sure you plan a day at Carillon Historic Park. This park, which is conveniently located just outside of the downtown area, features one of the largest and oldest continually operating carillon bells in the country. It's also home to some of the oldest attractions in the city, including one of the first restaurants that opened in Dayton and one of the first airplanes that the Wright Brothers ever flew. You can also relax and kick back at the on-site Carillon Brewing Company.

A Christmas Story House



You can't think about the holidays without thinking about the hit film A Christmas Story. Many people, however, do not realize that the home from that film is actually in Ohio. A San Diego businessman purchased the house in 2004 and completely restored it to make it look just like it did in the film. He later bought a nearby house and turned it into A Christmas Story House Museum. You can tour both homes, learn more about the making of the film and even buy souvenirs like a replica of the leg lamp from the movie.

The Buckeye State is home to professional sports teams, colleges, museums, historic sites and much more. Whether you visit Akron, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati or even Dayton, you can experienced some of the best attractions in the state.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb