Saint Marys, Ohio


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio
May 22nd 2023
Published: October 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Angel WingsAngel WingsAngel Wings

Art on one of the back of one of the downtown buildings in St. Marys. They were beautiful. Lois could not resist a photo.
We explored this little town while Mike's Lectric bike motor was being replaced. Memorial Park is home to many community-funded projects such as the "Belle of St. Marys" Canal Boat, Memorial Covered Bridge, Veterans Walkway, Clock Tower, and Grotto. Grand Lake St, Marys, completed in 1845, was a reservoir to supply water for the Miami and Erie Canal. For many years, the 17,500-acre reservoir was the largest artificial body of water in the world. The "Belle of St. Marys" is a replica of a full-scale canal boat that was used to travel along the canal. Celina is situated on the northwestern shores of Grand Lake St. Marys. Nearby Windy Point is a rocky jetty that protrudes out into the lake towards Safety Island. This scenic trail has a full view of the lake from both sides.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Bell TowerBell Tower
Bell Tower

Built in 1937 it was the firehouse belltower. Used to dry the fire hoses after a fire and to sound an alarm when a fire broke out. It was reconstructed in Memorial Park.
Belle of St MarysBelle of St Marys
Belle of St Marys

Replica of a canal boat that you can climb up on at the park.
Canal Boat replicaCanal Boat replica
Canal Boat replica

I am sure the boats were crowded when filled with cargo and people.
Covered BridgeCovered Bridge
Covered Bridge

This was at the park as well. Definitely a step back in time.
Miami-Erie Canal LockMiami-Erie Canal Lock
Miami-Erie Canal Lock

Maintained lock on the canal. Just there for show, not used.
St Marys 40 Acre PondSt Marys 40 Acre Pond
St Marys 40 Acre Pond

This is a view from the canal tow path bike trail. We biked past a farmer's electric fence. The electric field from the fence induced an electrical charge on our bikes. Touching the metal brake handle gave us quite a shock! Now we know to watch for this when passing an electric fence on our electric bikes!
St Marys Canal Path Crossing TunnelSt Marys Canal Path Crossing Tunnel
St Marys Canal Path Crossing Tunnel

On the way out on the trail we took the drainage pipe under the highway. That was a first and a little damp. On the way back we took the trail that went under the highway.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb