What are we doing?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Cincinnati
August 30th 2012
Published: August 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Helloooo 😊

While we are in Ecuador we will be doing lots of different things to help improve healthcare there. Some days, we will be in clinics taking blood pressure, performing glucose tests, obtaining weights and heights and educating the patients about how to stay healthy with the resources they have. For example, if we get a high blood pressure reading, we will educate the patient about things you can do besides taking medication to help control high blood pressure. Other days, we will be spending time with Health Promoters. Health Promoters are healthcare workers that have a wide range of training and experience. Some have no training and no experience and others have some training and lots of experience. Our goal is to spend a few days with them training them in topics including: basic first aid, hypertension, diabetes, pregnancy, signs of labor, newborn care, kitchen sanitation and food safety, preventing and treating 'worms,' and any other topics the clinics ask us to educate about.. We will be teaching them how to take blood pressure measurements as well. We have LOTS of supplies that were donated that we will bring with us. UC's Nursing Tribunal helped us obtain hundreds of toothbrushes and toothpaste to distribute. We were also able to make first aid kits that we will leave with the clinics. We are each bringing a checked bag FULL of supplies!



Talk to you later 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0871s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb