Cincinnati, Ohio


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Cincinnati
May 9th 2018
Published: May 10th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Cincinnati, OhioCincinnati, OhioCincinnati, Ohio

We are still blessed with good weather.
Yesterday was fun, today just as much. Our goal was to learn more about this city and surroundings.

We spent Tuesday night in Covington, Kentucky. We have learned that on the south-side of Cincinnati are two wonderful towns on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River, Covington and Newport. I'm sure we are among the few that did not know this but we were happy to learn about it. Our dinner last night was in Newport. It has a lot of recent development along the river and seems upscale from other areas.

This morning we took advantage of public transportation by walking a couple of blocks to catch the Southbank Shuttle Trolley. It circulates from Covington over to Cincinnati and then back across to Newport. We exited in Newport and walked along the river to the Newport Aquarium and the riverboat terminal.

We almost decided to take a lunch cruise along the river for two hours but decided instead to go to the Reds game, as planned. To get there we walked across the Taylor-Southgate Bridge to the stadium. The crowd was small for this game. Seems the Reds have gotten off to a very slow start this
NewportNewportNewport

Here's the Aquarium. Very nice. We did not have time to check this out but looked great and had lots of grade school kids lined up outside to attend.
year and this mid-week day game did not bring out many fans. But those that came were dedicated and cheered their team to victory. Since the Reds were playing the NY Mets, we pulled for the Reds to win. The game went into extra innings tied 1-1 after nine. The Reds won in the tenth with a home run.

After the game, we jumped on the free public trolley for a ride back to the hotel. On the walk from the stop we visited a White Castle for a couple of hamburgers. I had dinner reservations on a river front restaurant but after the burgers, we decided to pass. We brought a few snacks with us and tonight we will survive on those.

Tomorrow we will depart here driving north into Indiana. Not sure where we will stop. We want to visit Notre Dame University in South Bend and may spend the night there. But before we depart, we will visit the Roebling Murals. I don't know how we missed them already but our friend, Debbie Ballew recommended we visit and we will.

That reminds me to ask anyone that is following my blog to make suggestions
BridgesBridgesBridges

The Ohio has many bridges along here. Each has it's own style.
for things to see or do on this trip. We are really freelancing our way. I posted a map of our planned stops yesterday. Check that out and tell us what we should visit. Someone suggested the Noah's Ark in Kentucky but our route did not take us close enough to visit. But that's what we want to hear.

Thanks and talk later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Great American Ball ParkThe Great American Ball Park
The Great American Ball Park

Where are the fans? Well, we were 45 minutes early.
Laundry DayLaundry Day
Laundry Day

It's early in our trip but when you find a convenient laundry room, take advantage. Thanks, Jackie


10th May 2018

The Louisville Slugger Plant
If you have time and still in the area, go through the plant there as very interesting how they make bats! You get a small miniature bat at the end of the tour!
10th May 2018

Louisville Slugger
Thanks, Di, for your suggestion. We unfortunately missed our opportunity to visit the factory on Monday as we passed around Louisville. Hopefully, we will get another chance one day.
10th May 2018

Brown county
Jackie msg a link to brown county iIN. Covered bridges. IN has a plethora of small towns until u get to South Bend. If u want a campus tour I can have Carol Kraabel ( life long friend) meet up with y’all. she will be a frequent visitor at our place when we move to Amelia
10th May 2018

Old Towne in Indinapolis
Hope you have time to check out this old western town outside the city which is so super! While on the State Purchasing Trip, we did this and it was amazing! (that's been a long time ago so hope it's still around!)
11th May 2018

Olde Town...
We are now in South Bend, Indiana. We spent only one hour or so in Indianapolis. We visited a fabulous War museum in downtown. Read my blog for details. Next time we will visit the Olde Town.

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb