Exploring North Dakota


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Williston



Williston
Maureen Kelly/Robert Tait
Now that Monday, June 25, is here, we are at the Dodge Dealer in Williston, to have the A/C evaluated. Good news they have located the problem, it is the condenser; bad news the parts needs to be ordered and will be here tomorrow after noon.
We drove south to Ft. Union Trading Post. It was built in 1828 and soon became headquarters for the trading of beaver furs, and buffalo hides with the various Indian Tribes. The main means of transportation, at the time, was the river, so it was located near the confluence of the Missouri and the Yellowstone Rivers. In its heyday Ft. Union was a busy place. Hunters, carpenters, masons, herders, blacksmiths and tinners were but a few of the employees. Traders were sent to Indian Camps in winter and returned in spring, hopefully with a load of furs, and no leftover trade goods. It remained operational for almost 30 years.
In this same area, Ft. Buford was a supply base for the army in the Midwest. Troops dismantled Ft. Union and used the materials to begin Ft. Buford. It was an infantry company, located at the same confluence. After a small beginning, it grew to nine square miles. Its main claim to fame was…it was here Sitting Bull surrendered. We toured the state historic site and stood in the room where Sitting Bull and 24 warriors ultimately surrendered. After visiting the “Bunk-House,” I could only imagine the sights and “SMELLS” of 60 men in one small building, with almost no washing/showering facilities.
June 26, we just walked around Williston and finally returned to the Dodge dealer to repair the A/C.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



14th July 2007

ND
As a North Dakotan, glad to see you've been exploring North Dakota! Hope you were able to take the 1806 south out of Williston a little...the drive is very pretty.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb