North Dakota Days


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Dakota » Medora
July 31st 2010
Published: August 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

07/16/2010 to 07/20/2010 - Medora, North Dakota: We arrived at Medora Campground mid-day after an easy freeway drive of 280 miles. What a fun place to spend some time! We planned on a 4 night stay but would happily have stayed for several more. Medora was founded in 1883 by a 24-year old French nobleman, the Marquis de Mores, and named after his bride, Medora von Hoffman. The Marquis built a meat packing plant, a hotel, stores, and a large home overlooking his new town. Despite heavy financial backing, all of the Marquis' various enterprises ended in failure by 1886. The huge "hunting cabin" they built was used by the family for only 3 summers then never lived in again. It continued to be maintained by the family until it was eventually donated to the State of North Dakota. The town continued as a cattle town, as the county seat of Billings County, as a base camp for the CCC in the 1930's and 40's, and as the gateway to Theodore Roosevelt National Park (TRNP), established in 1947. Today Medora (permanent population of 100) is a tourist destination with numerous attractions manned by hundreds of volunteers. We thoroughly enjoyed out 3 days here, touring the Chateau de Mores, and exploring both the north and south units of TRNP. The north unit of the park is about 50 miles north of Medora and has a 14 mile (one way) scenic drive and many miles of hiking/horse trails. The south section is entered at Medora and has a 36 mile loop scenic drive. This section had the biggest buffalo herds and the only wild horse herds. We were very impressed with this corner of North Dakota. Beautiful scenery, lots of fun attractions in Medora (museums, shops, theatres, food, the Bully Pulpit Golf Course) and beautiful scenery (worth mentioning twice!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb