First Week of Wayne's Retirement


Advertisement
Published: April 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Agnes Scott CollegeAgnes Scott CollegeAgnes Scott College

Ok, Who is the student?
Week 1 of retirement

I better make an entry in the “Headed South” blog before we start north for home.

Left sunny Wisconsin on April 6th and arrived in Atlanta on the afternoon of the 8th. (Happy birthday Harold!) Southern Indiana and Kentucky looked very wet. Even had to ford a small creek with the Jeep when we stopped to pick up our Indiana geocache.

We stayed with Kim and Bruce, Karen’s sister and brother in-law in the Atlanta area for 2 nights. Karen’s Brother, Terry also stopped over to visit. Our recreational activities included visiting the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History that celebrated the “Great Locomotive Chase”. We also visited Agnes Scott College where Karen’s niece, Caitlin attends. It’s an all women’s college. It is a beautiful campus and they serve great food in their cafeteria.

We drove to Charleston, SC on the 9th. We started a walking tour of old Charleston in the evening but got lost and decided to just have dinner and call it a day. The next day we toured Fort Sumter and the aircraft carrier Yorktown and several other Navy ships.

The weather was nice and the
The York TownThe York TownThe York Town

FIRE THAT CANNON!
temperatures were in the upper 70s and low 80s. Since the weather looked good we headed north up the Atlantic coast. We drove through Myrtle Beach and decided it was Wisconsin Dells all over again, except it went on for over 10 miles. Myrtle Beach also has 10 times more mini golf courses than the Dells. We made it to Morehead City NC. on the 11th and found a clean cheap place to stay right on the beach. The Atlantis Hotel even allows dogs to stay. (Please don’t tell Amber.) We drove to Beaufort, NC to admire all the sailboats in the harbor and have dinner at the Harbor House.

We drove further up the NC coast to the ‘Outer Banks”. This required a 2 hour ferry ride from Cedar Island to Ocracoke Island and a 40 minute ferry ride to Cape Hatteras. We even had time to drive on the beach at Ocracoke. Our Jeep Compass could use a little more clearance when driving through soft sand, but we made it without Karen having to push. I will let you know how we make out on Hatteras in the next installment.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Ft. SumterFt. Sumter
Ft. Sumter

Lets go chase some rebals off this rock.
Charleston HarborCharleston Harbor
Charleston Harbor

Big boat and little boats
Ocracoke IslandOcracoke Island
Ocracoke Island

This Jeep will go anywhere
Hatteras Light HouseHatteras Light House
Hatteras Light House

That is a tall light house


13th April 2008

If you are smart . . .
you will stay south for a while longer. The weather is lousy so you might as well continue to soak up the sun. Looks like a great trip. We stopped in Charleston once on our way to Florida and enjoyed the Yorktown, but didn't have time to go out to Fort Sumter. Welcome to retirement!!
14th April 2008

Glad to see retirement is going well!
I am glad to see retirement is going well. It sounds like you both are having fun. Your pictures are great!

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb