Fayetteville, NC


Advertisement
Published: February 26th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Put PutPut PutPut Put

Staying at Fayetteville RV Resort. The park includes a 9-hole Put Put course. No extra fee to play. We had fun playing; including one night at 11 p.m.
The Fayetteville RV Resort and Cottages was a well-kept campground where we enjoyed playing putt-putt near midnight. After a workout at Planet Fitness, we toured the US Army Airborne and Special Operations Museum located next to the Veterans Park. The AASOM offered a chronological tour of exhibits highlighting military operations over the decades from WWII to Afghanistan. The next day we visited the Averasboro Battlefield Museum and Chicora. Again, the south still views the civil war a little different than the north. Back in Fayettville, we rode the Cape Fear River Bike Trail along rolling hills and a river crossing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Field of HonorField of Honor
Field of Honor

The field of flags was between the U.S. Army Airborne & Special Operations Museum and the Veteran's Park. The flags were to honor veterans, living or deceased, and current military members. 2022 was the 15th year for this annual honor. The flags have a tag identifying the person who sponsored the lag and the honoree.
U.S. Army Airborne & Special Operations MuseumU.S. Army Airborne & Special Operations Museum
U.S. Army Airborne & Special Operations Museum

Established in 2000, the museum captures, preserves, exhibits, and presents the material culture and heritage of the U.S. Army Airborne and Special Operations Forces. The museum covers over 80 years of history and honors our nation's soldiers, starting with events from 1940 forward.
Put PutPut Put
Put Put

Lots of leaf "hazards" on the course.
Chicora Civil War Cemetary. Chicora Civil War Cemetary.
Chicora Civil War Cemetary.

The cemetery has 54 unknown and 2 known Confederate soldiers buried. The soldiers were killed at the Battle of Averasboro that took place in March 1865. Many soldiers were buried in shallow graves where they fell. A local ladies organization, the Smithfield Memorial Association, was formed to establish a cemetery as a permanent resting place for these Confederate soldiers. In the center of the cemetery is a monument to the unknown soldiers
1824 Cabin1824 Cabin
1824 Cabin

This cabin is an example of cabin used for slave housing. It was relocated to the cemetery from Lebanon Plantation in 1961 and restored.
Confederate CemeteryConfederate Cemetery
Confederate Cemetery

We past a number of museums, historical markers, and cemeteries throughout the area related to the Civil War. Hope we have learned from this time in our U.S. history so it is not repeated.
Cape Fear River TrailCape Fear River Trail
Cape Fear River Trail

A lovely paved trail for walkers, joggers, and bicyclists. It winds for 7 miles, one-way through a lovely blend of trees, marshes, plants, and wildlife with a lovely view of the river. Included a covered bridge.
WaterfallsWaterfalls
Waterfalls

The bridge was a lovely spot to stop and enjoy the scenery and a stream with waterfalls.
StreamStream
Stream

We love waterfalls, even small ones.


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0851s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb