North Carolina Mountains & Pat


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The first part of our trip was sort of a flashback to my college years and the 90's. I wanted to bring back some good memories with my little brother, Pat, and I also wanted to give ADam a glimpse into my past.

* Day 1* First we headed to Boone, NC. This is where my brother and I lived together and where I went to college. Patrick and I haven't been there for nearly 7 years. So, we were both excited. We drove through the afternoon planning to arrive in Boone for dinner. We wanted to eat at the Carribean Cafe. Years ago my brother had a hot (chicken) wings eating contest at the restaurant. He and I still talk about how much those wings made him suffer that night and the next morning. Well, the restaurant was gone. No Carribean Cafe and no super hot wings. On to the next spot.

*Day 2* The next day we drove to Asheville, NC along the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a scenic little rode that winds through the mountains of North Carolina. I used to ride bicycles on the parkway when I was a university student. ADam, Pat and I went to Mount Mitchell ( the highest point on the east coast), but the tower on the top was under construction. What kind of luck was that? SO, now we were 0 and 2. Since we were denied at Mt. Mitchell, we went to Craggy Pinnacle and did a very short hike. Later that night we went to a casino in the town of Cherokee, NC. We were all planning on playing the roulette wheel. My brother quoted a Wesley Snipes movie all day. He said, "always bet on black" about one hundred times. It was funny. When we got into the casino it was hard to see anything. I guess you can't start betting unless you've warmed up by smoking a pack of cigarettes. Everyone was smoking. As we parted the haze we were disappointed to find out that there was no roulette. There were no card games to speak of. Everything was run by video and touch screen monitors. It was like a really expensive video arcade. Now we were 0 and 3...

*Day 3* On the final day of our mountain blitz, the three of us hiked around Black Balsam Knob. This is an easy hike with some nice views. If you look at the included pictures you can see Pat contemplating life or his next X-Box 360 purchase while sitting on Black Balsam. Nice day for a walk and then we headed to the coast.

Nothing too Earth shattering yet, but give me some time. I'll be hanging out at Sunset Beach, NC for the next few weeks. Shark attacks and bikinis...maybe just mini-golf.

Please leave some comments at the bottom.

Mike and ADam


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



8th August 2007

hey
You've got some great shots there Mike. Looks like you got ADam convinced about TATs. something different. Maybe the casino being a turn-off was good luck cheers, Peter
8th August 2007

Striking out & Tattoos
Hey guys, Looks like you're having a good time back in the old NC. When the hell did ADam get a tattoo?
20th August 2007

Good shots
Wow...great, Mike and Adam, You guys are admiring beautiful scenery there. Cool~~~. Well, my students are waiting for you Mike. Have a wonderful trip with you and Adam and see you in November.
20th August 2007

nice pics!
adam seems like she's getting younger :)
23rd August 2007

did we miss you?
hey mike. i ust got back from Toledo and a funeral for my grandmother. did we miss you?

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb