Schitt's Miscellany: Reading Material


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
July 30th 2006
Published: July 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In the first of a number of supplemental blogs to further put off returning to the world of work, here is what I read on my travels. For large periods in South America, I had real problems finding books in English, and was forced to resort to reading over and over the back of my shampoo bottle. When I could find books, I frequently had to settle for what was on offer rather than what I would have like to read. I still managed to plow through more than 30 books. The following list is chronological.

Lost City of the Incas - Hiram Bingham
A good precursor to the Inca Trail (but in reality quite dull).

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - JK Rowling
Great reading for the Brit abroad. Sucks you in and reminds you of an England that has probably never existed. Fantastic stuff. Sample line: '"Whatever would Dumbledore say!", cried Harry Potter, his head throbbing, as he slid his Nimbus 2000 into Ronald Weasley's Chamber of Secrets.'

Red Rabbit - Tom Clancy
In its favour, it's very long. The downside is that it is also shit.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling

Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction - Sue Townsend

Operation Certain Death - Damien Lewis
The sort of non-fiction that appeals to military fantasists (and me). To be read with cock in hand.

Air Babylon - Imogen Edwards-Jones
Crap follow up to 'Hotel Babylon'. Not nearly as funny.

Why do Men Have Nipples? - Mark Leyner & Billy Goldberg
Unusual medical question answered. Really fun to read.

Turkish Gambit - Boris Akunin
The Russian equivalent of James Bond (but better).

Airframe - Michael Crichton
Well researched novel about a plane crash investigation. A good book to read on a plane.

Confessions of an Economic Hitman - John Perkins
Bitter, biased, boring book that will appeal to moody class warriors.

The Hijack - Duncan Falconer
Drivel.

The Partner - John Grisham
Standard Grisham. Difficult to read slowly.

The Talisman - Steven King
Part of me dislike the idea of Stephen King, but his fantastical books always grow on me.

Valhalla Rising - Clive Cussler
As mentioned previously, Cussler is obviously an asshole. Trite, one dimensional characterisation and unbelievable plots. CC also rather modestly writes himself into his books as a dapper multi-millionaire. What a twat. Sample line, uttered by the book's hero, Dirk, about himself: 'I know somebody who is an easy touch for beautiful women and handicapped kids'. Shudder.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling

Submarine - Tom Clancy
Wretched history of Nuclear Submarine warfare. Picture of fat Clancy on the back of the book looking about as smug as it is possible to look without self-combusting. Sample line: 'When the Virginia first enters service in 2004, she will likely be fitted with the new AN/BLQ-11A Long-term Reconnaissance System (LMRS).'

Full Steam Ahead - Tony Warren
Fun novel by extremely camp Mancunian.

The Devil in White City - Erik Larson
Fantastic non-fiction. One of the best books I read on my travels.

The Broker - John Grisham

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
Another good read

Night Over Water - Ken Follett

The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell - John Crawford
Non-fiction war story. A bit too American for my liking, but quite interesting nonetheless.

Sherlock Holmes and the Ruinstone Mystery - Larry Millett
Bringing CD's character back to life, but not having CD's powers of characterisation. Over-use of the word 'fisticuffs'.

A Dangerous Fortune - Ken Follett
My first Follett book and surprisingly good.

Forced Landing - Thomas H Block
Dull.

1st to Die - James Patterson

The Client - John Grisham

The Summons - John Grisham

The Testament - John Grisham

War Reporting for Cowards - Chris Ayres
Another highlight of the trip. Great non-fiction written by a typical Brit.

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World - Jack Weatherford
Lots of pillaging action. People being boiled in vats and kicked to death. Light reading.

Roberts Ridge - Malcolm MacPherson
Special forces non-fiction. To be read while saluting.

Getting Stoned with Savages - J Maarten Troost
Really funny travel writing.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb