The Big Apple


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
April 22nd 2011
Published: April 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Woke to a foggy and rainy morning and as such the Statue of Liberty visit was out. Took the subway to Rector Street to see the World Trade Centre site and the Memorial to the Firefighters. They are busy building and activity is everywhere which is great to see. The construction site was covered in fog. Dropped into Century 21 which early in the day was still quite empty and Danelle managed to get her heels.

Walked around Trinity Church, Wall St, Stock Exchange before making our way back to midtown to visit the Rockefeller Centre. Lots of people were still enjoying the ice skating. As the weather still wasn’t fantastic we didn’t go to the top, but explored the Centre including the conclave, and the shops (ie Lego Store and Met store).

Walked up 6th Ave and through Central Park to cut through to the Lincoln Centre. Spend a pleasant time sitting in the sun (which had come out) and people watching before making our way back to the hotel to get ready for our evening.

After our Panini back at Zabar’s (enjoyed the locals), we made our way to Times Square. It was lucky we had left early because the couple of blocks to our Theatre on 45th took ages through the crowds. Billy Elliott was amazing, dancing, singing, acting, set, theatre, audience etc - we’ve had a fantastic time enjoying the whole experience. The show in the theatre next to ours had also recently finished and we noticed a small group of tourists surrounding a scruffy looking man. It was Robin Williams, who had starred in that show and we also managed a couple of photos. Our first celebrity sighting!!

Walked along Broadway up to Columbus Circle people watching and taking in the atmosphere before taking the subway back the couple of stops to our hotel.

21st April 2011 (Alanah’s Birthday!)

Beautiful sunshine and so we took the Staten Island Ferry to the Statue of Liberty. Afterwards went over to Canal Street and along Broadway in Soho checking out all the shops along the way. Found a great deli for lunch, opposite the Prada store. Went up to Union Square, than Madison Square Gardens and ended up for another walk in Central Park (Belvedere Castle). Noticed a long line of trucks along Central Park West and found out that they are currently filming a Tom Hanks/ Sandra Bullock movie with scenes in Central Pa


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb