The Big Apple & Hockey in the Capital


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
January 10th 2010
Published: July 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

America!America!America!

Mickey-D's and yellow cabs...how NY!
A quick little entry...mostly for photos!

Dave came to Montreal for his December holidays! We greeted him with a surprise party at Pub St Paul in the Old Port, followed by getting into the Olympic Spirit by cheering on the Torch Relay!
After two weeks of fun in Montreal, we headed down to Goshen, NY for Christmas. This time around, we also had a visitor from Switzerland (hi Kim!), which gave us an excuse to get to the City more often!

We headed down to the city on two separate trips...one to just be tourists, and for New Year's Eve! We checked out the Natural History Museum, Rockafeller Centre, Times Square and lots of shopping.
For New Year's Eve, we decided to brave the crowds and debauchery of New York City. It's supposedly the thing to do for NYE. We laughed at the chaos that was Times Square at 8pm, strolled through Central Park, watched the skating at Rockafeller Center, and watched fireworks from Pier 17 in South Street Seaport.
We found New York City eerily quiet on New Year's Eve once we left the chaos of Times Square (which we couldn't even get within 5 blocks of because they had blocked it off!!). It was as if the entire city was either at Times Square or hidden away at home. We found a lot of restaurants and pubs closed for the evening and we wondered where everyone was. Even the brewery at South Street Seaport was closed. We wondered if New York was always like this on New Year's, or if it had to do with the rainy weather, or if it was due to the recession. The trains were empty too! We even met a guy who told us there are no fireworks visible from South Street Seaport. One bar at the Seaport wouldn't even let us in, saying they were closing at 11pm! So where was everyone?? We were disappointed but decided to wait it out. There were maybe 30 other people gathered, waiting and wondering. Luckily for us, we could see the fireworks over Staten Island. Then we went to one of the two bars that were open and had a few drinks.
The train ride home proved to be more entertaining as it was filled with drunks who had partied too hard. Where they had partied was a mystery to us!

Then we
Origami DecorationsOrigami DecorationsOrigami Decorations

The Christmas tree in the Natural History Museum was decorated in A-Z origami animals!
escaped Goshen and headed down to Washington, DC. We checked out the beautiful city of Alexandria, visited more of the wonderful free Smithsonian museums, and tried our best to cheer on the Habs as they played the Capitals. We lost, but we would get our chance to defeat them later! Go Habs Go!

And we swung by Newport News, VA to visit my cousin. We also decided to visit Historic Jamestown while we were in the area.

And here are some photos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Skating!Skating!
Skating!

We didn't bother with the long lines and inflated price of the skating, but it was fun to look at
Planets!Planets!
Planets!

We visited the Planetarium too!
Next Stop: Grand CentralNext Stop: Grand Central
Next Stop: Grand Central

The light show in Grand Central Station
Confetti HopesConfetti Hopes
Confetti Hopes

We added to the wishes to be thrown as confetti on New Year's Eve
Window ShoppingWindow Shopping
Window Shopping

On 5th Ave near Central Park, we found amazing window displays
View for NYEView for NYE
View for NYE

Our viewpoint for New Year's Eve fireworks
Pier 17Pier 17
Pier 17

All lighted up for the evening!
Go Habs Go!Go Habs Go!
Go Habs Go!

We got tickets to watch the Habs vs the Capitals in DC
Museums!Museums!
Museums!

Inside the Natural History Museum in Washington DC
Me in DCMe in DC
Me in DC

Posing outside one of the many beautiful buildings along the Mall of America
Historic AlexandriaHistoric Alexandria
Historic Alexandria

Our host lives in the beautiful city of Alexandria
Historic JamestownHistoric Jamestown
Historic Jamestown

The entrance to historic Jamestown was quite impressive!
John SmithJohn Smith
John Smith

And the famous character from the Disney movie. Oh, he was real?


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb