Castleton


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
October 17th 2008
Published: October 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: 27 secs
Well we made it across lake ontario. We went to Cape Vincent the first night which wasn't bad at all, the sun was shining and the customs were pretty good. The closest they came to the boat was 50 ft....Making me wish we kept the liquor cabinet and our beef. Day two wasn't bad either we took our time and ended up in sacket's harbour for the night. The third night was, well very long. We left sacket's harbour at 7am (free night stay) and it took us till 4pm to get out of henderson bay because the wind waas coming right at us and we couldn't motor straight into it we had to put up the storm jib and motor-sail across the bay a couple times. This is when we heard the small craft warning on the 2-way and started looking for a place to stay. The swells were 10 ft and winds gusting to 38 knots. Without that storm jib (thank you soper sails) the motor was out of the water more than it was in so we were still sort of tacking.. Anyways come 9 at night it was cold and dark and we were still in the middle of the lake.which was when we saw a lot of lights in the distance so we started heading there, about a mile out we realized it was a big coal power plant and not oswego so we went farther out into the lake to avoid it. Moral of thge story was we got to oswego at 6 am (in the pitch black) with waves crashing over the breakwater and a couple litres of gas left. We put 40 l through our little tohatsu without turning it off... After 23 hours at the helm with trevor ttrying to stay awake beside me I waas seeing odd things. I never want to do that again. Today we are in castleton and about to put the mast back up. The canal was a breeze after lake ontario. We are well on our way and work really hard to not geet caught out at night anymore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



17th October 2008

Your first 'nighter!
Hey guys, great video and pictures!! I'm really glad you are able to upload them on the way (I never could when I was in Europe) so keep them coming! Pulling the 'nighter I'm sure had an impact and you're right, avoiding the coal power plant is probably for the best. I'm really glad you two are together for this and having a ball
17th October 2008

Good going. guys!! Course, in my day the waves were always 12-15 feet and the wind always bearing straight down at 50-60 knots. Keep going and remember, some of us are living our dreams through you.
17th October 2008

lol that sounds too damn funny boys OMG glad ya made it across customs crazy they didn't check ya.. ... great story especially the part about being up for 23 hours and starting to see things Oh my I wish I could have been there ..I was kinda wondering how that out board would handle the waves I guess ya found out ..wishing you both luck
18th October 2008

stay cool
You guys rock, just try to travel through the days please.

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb