The first few days


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
June 16th 2007
Published: June 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

since i wrote my last entry, the last few days were more about people than about traveling. we don't really leave camp, and until all the campers arrive we have a pretty busy scheduale of activities for the staff and we're getting to know each other (well a lot of the americans already know each other from previous years, but we obviously don't). so i haven't really started my job, but i have much less free time than i'll have when i'll be "working".
most of the americans are nice and try to get to know you, but like i wrote a lot of them already have their friends here and there are times i really do feel the cultural difference (much more than in my birthright trip, for example). an interesting thing is that i haven't met a single staff-american that haven't been to israel (maybe even haifa) yet!
the day before yesterday i got up at about 11 and most of the day passed in conversations and trying to get to know people. at about 6pm the bus with all of the people arrived and since then we're on scheduale - a lot of the activities are a bit too 'zofifniky' for me, but some of them are nice... every day we have a reform tfila - they sing almost all of the prayer (and in completely different tunes than the ones that i know) with guitars - it's kinda weird to me, i usually don't relate to it, but sometimes the harmony of everybody singing together can be nice and powerful. logistics are a bit of a problem because nothing's near and we don't get much free time so we can't really buy anything.
'erev shabat' was a lot of fun and laughter - at our dinner table we were the 3 israeli security guards, the 2 drivers (polish and mexican, both such 'satlanim') and the 2 kindergarden teachers that are probably the most fun 35 year old women i've ever met, and we didn't stop laughing the entire dinner... after there were shabat/hassidic/reform songs that continued the fun atmosphere with a lot of dancing... most of the early night i spent with a group of americans telling sick jokes and again, laughing...
today, shabat, is mostly laid back - so i have time to write...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb