End of Staff Week


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Warwick
June 22nd 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

yesterday (or today, depends how you look at it...) the first round of camp participants arrived, and thus ended the week of activities for the staff that we had until wendsday. now most of us (including me) started doing our job. but before that i still have to write about what went on staff week since last time i wrote.
well after shabat, that was very laid back, most of the week was consisted of prayers, moving furniture around camp and mostly of very boring lectures and youth-movement-style programs about camp rules, activities etc, most of which had nothing to do with us security guards (but we still had to be in them). some nice activities that are worth mentioning are: i climbed an alpine tower, which is basically like a climbing wall but easier and nicer. it wasn't amazing but it was nice and i definately plan on doing it again, if only to see the view from the tower at day time (i climbed at night). we also had an activity in which we were divided to two groups by gender - not that the topics were really interesting, but it turned out that the girls had a heart-to-heart conversation while we told each other hilarious stories of some freaky incidents from previous years in camp and college life.
we also had a night off. again, the fun part was the way - the town of warwick is an absoloutly beautiful american town with cool wooden houses with the american flag on the porch, and we drove through the area with american oldies as a very suitable soundtrack. then we came to a huge mall area (imagine dozens of universe coumpond in tel hanan...) and ate at some burger joint. the food was nice, but wasn't worth the waiting to me. so today, when we could've had dinner outside i just stayed in - i kinda like the camp dining room.
most of the people here are really nice, the only problem is that most of them are younger (most of the staff are 18-19 yrs old), and i sometimes really feel the age difference. i pretty much already got the people that i hang out with, and i like them, but they're much busier than me...
we basically have 3 shifts a day (amongst the 3 of us) - a day shift during which we don't really have to do anything exept for hanging around with a walky-talky, and 2 night shifts during which we have to do a tour around camp every half an hour (and the rest of it is like the day one). now i'm doing my first late night shift and i'm probably the only one who's awake around camp...
last night we had an israeli deligation night at one of the cabins, so it was fun and we got to practice our hebrew a little bit 😊 there are also some americans that try to talk to us in hebrew, most of them are really not bad and anyway i appreciate the effort...



Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb