New York & Cruise trip 2013


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
October 7th 2013
Published: October 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

New York



We arrived last Wednesday in the early morning sailing under the Brooklyn Bridge and passed the Statue of Liberty and docked at 7am. We were very lucky to get some great photos of the Statue of Liberty at dawn. We disembarked after breakfast at 10am with the process running quite smoothly as we had already cleared immigration in Bar Harbour with scary Homeland Security. We caught a taxi to pick up the keys. That was a miracle with the number of our bags in one taxi! Once arrived at the apartment though not large at least it looked like what we thought it would. The only problem it is noisy because it is over the Irish pub! Live band plays each night! We bought some ear plugs!



Once we dumped our luggage we took off into town by taxi and bought tickets for Hop on and Hop Off bus rides for 3 days. We already had bought our 7 day New York Passes online - they're great and get us into places free or to get free entry tickets.



We are on the corner of 1st Ave and 74th Street. The traffic doesn't stop. They love to use their car horns especially taxis. In the afternoon we had a tour around downtown through Times Square and had a quick look in Macys who had a sale! As tourist we received a 10% discount card.



We went to the Empire State Building - massive and what fantastic views around this big city of New York. People everywhere! Naturally wherever you go - particularly any attractions - they want to take photos of you and sell you everything under the sun.



Day 2 we got on and off the Hop on Hop Off buses and went to the 9/11 Memorial and scene - there is a glassed house area there which contains the remains of an elevator. The memorial pools have the victims names engraved on there - the pools are huge - one for the North one and the other for the South - amazing. They're pool waterfalls if that makes sense. We went for a drink at one of the many Irish pubs here, afterwards.

We went along Times Square again - always a source of entertainment - heaps to see and massive advertisements everywhere. If you have an advert in Times Square - you have to foot the bill for the electricity to run it. Out for groceries and dinner and off to bed....


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.29s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0919s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb