Liberty Statue


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
August 11th 2007
Published: August 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

" We will not forget that Liberty has here made her home;
nor shall her chosen altar be neglected."

- That was part of the opening speech of President Cleveland when he formally inaugurated the Liberty statue in 1886. The Liberty was presented by France to US to commemorate 100 years since independence.

The statue was sculpted by the /French sculptor Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi with the help of Eiffel who built the Eiffel tower. It was transported to America in 250 pieces and reassembled at site. Now it stands on a colossal pedestal which is 10 stories high on the Liberty island which is dedicated to the statue.

The ferries collect the tourists at the battery point in Manhattan side and take you on half hour journey to the island. The views of Manhattan skyscrapers are wonderful and delightful. As you approach the island the statue comes into view - What a magnificent sculpture she is. She stands so tall and majestically on the high pedestal overlooking New york Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Queens.

I stood there in the park below in silence marvelling the sculpture for few minutes. Great work of art indeed and so it is one of world heritage sites. Its a pity that you can't climb up to the top anymore. It would have been a magnificent sight from the top.

Well, its a visit you will never forget and will always linger in your memory for long time to come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb