Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 31


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
June 29th 2014
Published: June 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Didn't mention last night, but when we got back to the room there was a nice rainbow coloured piece of paper telling us that the streets around the hotel would be closed due to the gay pride parade. Wake up this morning and there are lots of people milling around up the road getting ready for the parade. Lots and lots in interesting costumes - bit like the Sydney Madrid gras.

Get organised and go downstairs, Chris would like a haircut so Sarah does her bit and gives 2 options nearby. Wander out and check out the marchers, lots and lots more now.... Finally get to where we want to be after many many street blockades, etc. Even the streets we want for the hairdresser are blocked as the marchers gather, but the police allow us in to get to the shops - which are both closed. Walk a little further and there is a hairdresser open, so Chris goes in - 5 minute wait then her turn. I go off looking for shoe shops, find Macy's department store which is huge - a mini chadstone for just one store.....

Check out shoes, then back and Chris has finished. We are going to try and do a Madison square tour on the card. Find it and go in - security check bags, etc. then up to the counter - no tours now, there is a basketball game on - WNBA - ok, buy tickets and we are in. New York Liberty playing Connecticut Suns. Our seats are the cheap ones, but not too bad. Not many in today, but the commentator tries to get things happening.

Game a bit slow, but in the last quarter gets interesting. 1 minute to go and Liberty 1 point up. Few shots, then Liberty get fouled and all over red rover - they win by 2. Out and to some more shoe shops, then back to the hotel. Decide to go back to one of the streets we looked at the hairdressers - they had some interesting little restaurants there. Walk along and come to one that looks ok - quite a few people inside so that is usually a good sign as well. Sit down, and read the menu. Lots of Middle Eastern type food, kebabs, stews, etc. Ask the boss the origin of the food - Persia (Persian Jewish to be exact).

Starters come out which is pita bread with homes, olives and gherkins, along with a special of cracked rice and lentil stew over it - not bad either..... Then the mains, I ordered lamb kebabs and Chris the beef stew with spinach and other stuff. The kebabs were the length of an oval plate loaded with rice. Chris got a plate of rice and the stew in a fair sized bowl. Both really nice but way too much rice. Ordered desert of rose hip sorbet. Looked and felt like shredded coconut, but it wasn't. Asked the boss and it was shredded rice - really refreshing.

Back to the park where they had a movie - sat down to watch, then they stopped the movie and said they would show the rest tomorrow night - bugger, we will be in Niagara Falls. Looked up and even the Empire State Building got into the gay pride theme, it was coloured in the rainbow stripes. Looked good.

Back to the hotel to pack bags again. Organise stuff for carry on for Niagara and then to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.371s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb