Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 32


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
June 30th 2014
Published: July 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Up early for our check out and trip to Niagara Falls. Hotel has been great, last looks over the park from the balcony and then downstairs to our waiting limo.

Thank the staff and store our bags till tomorrow. Limo driver is a bit more chatty than the other one we had when we arrived. Get to see peak hour New York style - not very dissimilar to Sydney. Make it to the airport in good time, and get our boarding passes. Chris has a TSA exempt tag, mine doesn't - here we go again.

Into the long queue and then to the security bit. Chris gets to go through the normal screening and keeps her sandals on. I have to strip shoes, belt and then go through the full body scan - with the dude yelling at everyone to take everything out of their pockets and hold it up high. That done, then told to stand on the mat - something wrong with my ankle - more wand waving, then ok to go. Chris has been held up for the wand and something in the bag - that would be the CPAP. No dramas, but stay behind the line........

In and get something to eat. Go to the gate and wait. Not too long this time. Boarded and bags up then watch as others who come a bit later have their bags out underneath as there is no room. Smooth flight and land at buffalo airport. Go down to hertz to pick up the rental car. All good, asked if I would like a Prius, why not, cheaper on petrol. Find the car, and the exit. Details of how to get to Niagara Falls provided with a map by hertz and we are away.

Soon we are seeing big signs to Niagara Falls, and we are there (on the American side). Find a cheap park (parking in the actual town area is $10 so street parking a little bit out is a good option) and walk towards the falls. River is huge and the rapids are getting a bit bigger. Bloody hot today, humidity is high. We eventually see the falls - OMG - the pressure of the water is huge. It seems to just crawl to the edge then as it goes over the edge it becomes a monster.

We spend quite a bit of time here looking at the respective falls. Decide we need a drink and some food. Find a dodgy restaurant in a pub that turns out to be a quality suites hotel - read dodgy anchorage hotel......

Food not that bad though and drinks cold. Back to the car and off to cross the border into Canada. On the rainbow bridge (can't get away from the gay pride stuff......) and stop about half way over In a car queue this time. Not too bad but then as we get to the end of the bridge, the 2 lanes split into about 10 lanes - pot luck to choose one here, but we did and ended up with a nice customs guy who actually chatted and joked about only 1 day in Canada. Told him we had already done over 8 days and he was happy.

Find the hotel eventually, car parking is chaos so we decide to bail out and go looking for a place that one of the group on the Mountaineer tour had told us about - Niagara on the Lake. No idea what it is but off we go. Find the exit and then turn off to the right (choice of 2 ways). Lots of wineries in this area, lots of big houses as well. As we keep going, the area has more big old houses and a bit of historic touch to it. End up doing a full lap and finally getting to Niagara on the Lake - a town that reminded me of Daylesford. Lots of old shops, antiques, etc. really pretty town, and really nice drive through the vineyards and houses. Also got to see the lake - huge.

Back to Niagara Falls, and the hotel. Finally got to park and left the car with the valet parking. Chris had started the check in and as I walked up, the question was whether we wanted the 6th floor or for an extra $40 we could have a bigger room on the 20th floor - ok, up we go.

Room has great views of the falls so seems money well spent. Walk down to our booked trip to see the falls from the water on Hornblower cruises. Line up and told we are in the right queue. Eventually get to go in, walk down and then a lift To the bottom level. We walk up to someone who says we should go back and go through the photo booth - bugger that, we just go and get our pink ponchos and straight to the line. First in the queue and ask the guy what is the best position. He suggests the top front so that is where we go. Pretty in pink and cover for our backpack as well under the front bit of the top deck. We brought a towel from the room to cover the camera so all good.

Boat pulls out and slides across to the American falls. Spray has us wet straight away. We get lots of time beside these falls and see close up the rocks at the foot of the falls, and the force of the water coming over the edge. Then we head up river to the Canadian falls (horseshoe falls). Now we get wet - almost lashed by the spray sometimes, then as quick as it came, it disappears even though we are in the middle of the falls. Then it is back again. The water is like a huge spa bath. Whirlpools everywhere.

We creep closer to the edge and then the skipper turns the boat and we fly back to the American falls pushed by the water and wind. Downstairs to dry off and take off the pretty pink ponchos. Towel does the job.

Off the boat and up through the gift shop and out. What an experience up close and personal,with these mighty falls. Back to the hotel via the incline train and a shower to warm up, dry off and feel refreshed. Dinner in the lounge as the restaurants have shut.

Arrange for the car to be up top at 0830 tomorrow morning. Time for us to get to the airport then up to the room to look at the falls by night again. Lights are lost a bit in the mist but still impressive. Lots of bugs on the windows, even this night up. Luckily they are on the outside.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023kb