Goodbye Brooklyn Heights, goodbye Upper East Side...farewell USA!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
September 1st 2013
Published: September 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Well all good things have to eventually come to an end. But, now that it's time to go, our three weeks in NYC seems to have flown by.

We did lots more walking around Brooklyn on Sunday morning before enjoying lunch at the cafe just around the corner from our B & B and then heading back to Kerrii & Seb's place. A couple of hours later Seb was off to JFK airport to catch a plane to Sydney to do some work for the Maritime Museum; he'll be back in NYC on 12 September; Andrea's birthday. Not long after Seb departed, Elizabeth, whose apartment we were sub-letting, came over to say hello. Nice to meet her and her eldest and youngest children who spent time playing with Grace & Rupert.

Kerrii, Grace, Rupert, Kev & I went around the corner to a Mexican Restaurant - Mole - for our last evening meal together. Delicious. We then spent our last night in the kids apartment. Monday, our day of departure, was Labour Day so it was a public holiday. After doing our last minute washing and packing we began one last walk up to the Carl Schurz Park which is about 10 minutes away but the impending rain put a stop to that.

Well now that I'm about to leave here are some of my likes and dislikes about the Big Apple. Some of the things I love are the parks, especially Central Park, some of the old and newer architecture, the many museums, art galleries, libraries and theatres. Then there is the relative ease with which you can get around in the labyrinth which is the subway system although every time I go into a subway I'm reminded of the Morlocks in H G Wells "The Time Machine". Some would include shopping in that list but I'm really no shopper myself. Amongst the things I hate is the noise, the terrible state of the footpaths and the roads, the rubbish, dog urine and faeces on the footpaths, the many homeless people pan handling and the like, the fact that wages are so low tipping is necessary and the lack of social security. NYC is a city for the rich; it's almost enough to turn one into an anti-capitalist. But naturally we'll be back as the major thing that I love about NYC are four beautiful inhabitants; Kerrii, Seb, Grace & Rupert!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Happy family!Happy family!
Happy family!

Note Grace's new bed for her American Girl - a present for getting great marks in the end of term exams
Rupert & Kerrii dig in too!Rupert & Kerrii dig in too!
Rupert & Kerrii dig in too!

No Seb to join us as he'd gone to JFK to catch a flight to Sydney
Farewell Kev at JFKFarewell Kev at JFK
Farewell Kev at JFK

He's off to Sydney while I'm off to London!


4th September 2013

safe trip
Have really enjoyed your NYC blogs. Look forward to the ones from England.
6th September 2013

Hi Michelle, Sounds like you've had a great time in NYC (except for feeling like a Morlock in the subways; great analogy!) I've finished reading 'The Other Dickens' and really enjoyed it. Thanks so much for recommending it to me. Doesn't sound like it was too much fun being a Victorian woman! Travel safely. Best regards, Louise

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb