Midnight Express, Governors Island & leaving the Big Apple


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 29th 2012
Published: July 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast on our last day in NYC was at the diner Midnight Express about five minutes walk from our apartment and a favourite of Grace & Ruperts. It was during breakfast that Rupert informed Kev of the dragons which would be following our plane; he made up such a fascinating story, if his imagination continues he could end up a writer. That is if he doesn't make it as a ballet dancer!

Our NYC family went one way and we went another, taking the subway to 'Bowling Green' and from there we caught the ferry to Governors Island. Only five minutes in the ferry from Manhattan, Governors Island was one of the largest continuous active military posts in the US having served as a major Army headquarters since the late 1700's. It was a fascinating place which is in the process of being turned into a 30 acre park and where we could easily have spent the whole day if only time permitted that. It has some historic buildings on it from the early days; we'll definitely be back on our next visit to NYC. Our main reason for going was to see the 'Graphic Design: Now in Production" exhibition which has been jointly organised by the Cooper-Hewitt Museum (where Seb works) and the Walker Art Centre where there were some interesting exhibits. After a wander around we caught the ferry and subway back to our apartment for the worse job of all - packing!

We joined Kerrii, Seb and the grandkids at a local Asian restaurant for dinner before going back to their apartment for our final goodbyes. We'll miss you all and eagerly look forward to the next time we can get together. Thanks for helping to make our time in NYC such fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Where there's a Cooper-Hewitt Graphic Design exhibitionWhere there's a Cooper-Hewitt Graphic Design exhibition
Where there's a Cooper-Hewitt Graphic Design exhibition

The Cooper-Hewitt, part of the Smithosian, is where Seb works but at the present time is undergoing refurbishment.
David McCandless's 'Billion dollars-o- GramDavid McCandless's 'Billion dollars-o- Gram
David McCandless's 'Billion dollars-o- Gram

Telling a story in an interesting way


29th July 2012

Have a smooth flight and another great leg of your trip!--Martha

Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb