Escape From Gotham City (Penny)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
June 28th 2009
Published: June 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

When you live in the city that never sleeps, sometimes all you crave is a really good nap. But here in Manhattan? Not a chance! You need to shake the relentless energy seeping in through your pores, pulsating your very being into a frazzled lump on the brink of insanity.

ESCAPE: my all-consuming theme of late. How do I flee the city? Where can I go? Who robbed my life of nature? Who swiped the trees, snatched the mountains, nabbed the beaches, pinched the lakes? And most importantly, who stole all the space in my world?

I love this city, but I need a break! A seasoned New Yorker without a house in the Hamptons is like a cupcake without icing. At first glance New York overwhelms the senses with possibility, zest and sparkle ... until it hits home: you're merely licking a bowl of raw cake batter. The frosting resides elsewhere: shimmering atop verdant peaks in the Adirondacks, twinkling in the sapphire seas of Bermuda and glimmering in the feverish sunset over Montauk Beach.

Considering current budgetary constraints, I made do this weekend. Saturday, I took a train trip north to DIA:Beacon, (green heaven), and Sunday, Dave & I discovered Coney Island, (seaside hell). Closer to home we stumbled upon a secret discovery evoking a wash of tranquility to reset my garbled soul. Minutes after a frightening thunderstorm we headed to the freshly-washed landscape of Central Park. Rarely do people brave the park at twilight. Especially under an angry sky poised to throw lightning bolts earthbound with the deadly precision of an Olympic javelin star. The two of us clearly scored the daredevil gene. Our reward makes sense only in the context of manic Manhattan life: peace, serenity, grass glowing green like kryptonite, the air smelling pungently of Night Jasmine, the clip-clop of horse-drawn carriages echoing on cobblestones and a mirrored lake reflecting a sultry orange sky. Perfect. If only everyone would stay locked indoors more often!




Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

DIA: BeaconDIA: Beacon
DIA: Beacon

A renowned art gallery
The Annual Hot Dog Eating CompetitionThe Annual Hot Dog Eating Competition
The Annual Hot Dog Eating Competition

Coney Island is pure class!
Brighton BeachBrighton Beach
Brighton Beach

Brooklyn's Russian Quarter


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb