Spring Has Finally Sprung (Penny)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
April 19th 2009
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The aroma of caramelized nuts halos around street vendors across Manhattan. It creeps up my nostrils the moment I step outdoors, mingling with smokey street-meat and charred pretzels, conjuring a jumble of candied childhood memories. But the smell of Manhattan has changed since we arrived. It's now suspiciously laced with flowery overtones. Strolling through the East Village this morning, a wispy breeze whipped the spring blossoms into a frenzy as an overexcited local declared, "It's like a floral snowstorm! Isn't it beautiful?!" If the yawning tulips didn't drop a hint, the blaring sun confirmed our suspicions ... SPRING IS HERE!

Boy, does this city switch personalities once the mercury inches up. The streets are positively bulging at the seams with people. Where were they last week? Snuggling up with a glass of Californian Zinfandel in front of a crackling fire as the sky rained liquid icicles, I suspect. But today ... they were ALL in Central Park. Dave and I have never witnessed such a spectacle in aid of nothing. The park was in festival mode and barely coping. Balloons and fairy-floss nicely complimented bathroom lines literally 50 minutes long (!) Despite the throngs of beer-swillers relaxing with picnic hampers in Sheep Meadow, I opted for dehydration. It's less hassle. Even picnicking in Central Park is an extreme sport. If you're not participating in the hula-hooping, roller-discoing, dancing, frisbeeing, football-tossing, lacrosse, yoga, or annoying-hippie-guitar-strumming-singalongs, you're at risk of a black-eye thanks to stray balls and topless jump-rope girls.

It's also party season. Well, that's actually a year-round thing. If you're young and single, I swear there's no better place in the world to be than right here. New York's social scene is on steroids. Last week we joined an Aussie Expat bar party and made two lovely new friends. They invited us to a lingerie party, which we had to decline, (sadly for Dave, I'm sure) in favor of a 'Fine & Raw' Chocolate 1st Birthday in a converted Brooklyn warehouse. A DJ pumped tunes from the loft, spilling down over a sea of grooving people hyped up on delicious raw organic chocolate and Magnolia cupcakes. (Thanks for the blind-date hook-up, Dev!)

Most of our contacts have been friends-of-friends. Everyone knows someone in Manhattan, and they're all so welcoming. Between champagne lady's luncheons and random birthday parties in private clubs, we're beginning to pool a great group of mates. If anyone knows anyone else over here, please introduce us via Facebook. We're interviewing for a number of available positions.

Speaking of interviews, I had my first architectural one on Friday. It lasted an hour and a quarter and concluded with an office tour. (I'm taking that as a positive sign). The job was handmade to match my skills and I love everything about it. The open plan office is stunning, it's located in the heart of Soho (celebrity central), they use shiny new Macs, and you can even bring your dog to work (??). Fingers crossed. I have another interview with a world-renowned architect on Monday, but for some reason I'm more excited about the obscure company in Soho.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



20th April 2009

Fine and Raw
Hey guys, Glad you got to meet the Williamsburg crew and sample the Fine and Raw stuff, Dan is a legend!
21st April 2009

Williamsberg
apparently there is this amazing artist who sells his art at the local W'berg subway- between the lines- if you get something get me one too- then we can retire when he is the new Banksy! I'm in NY in late June- can't wait to see you. j x
21st April 2009

Subway Art
Johnson, I'll wait till you get here and we can go on this death-defying wild-art-chase together. So exciting you're coming. You'll be our first visitor! P.x

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb