Brash Opinions & Inbuilt Humor (Penny)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
April 6th 2009
Published: April 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mmmm, fresh farm milk!Mmmm, fresh farm milk!Mmmm, fresh farm milk!

Union Square Farmers Market
I headed down to Soho last night for a free writing class on character development (part of the old 'become a writer' dream). New Yorkers crack me up. They are so opinionated and bursting with personality. A very ample Afro-American mama turned up late to our class dressed from shoulders to cankles in turd-colored terry-towelling. Her head errupted in a craze of hairsprayed curls tinted with cherry red streaks. Her resonant voice boomed unformed opinions throughout the hour, to the tune of, "Honey, keep your mouth shut", and "Sugar, you're distracting us. Stop talking", and "Momma, we don't CARE what you got to say", as random attendees piped up unabashedly. Aussies would never do this! We'd sit politely and grit our teeth, then bitch about the stupid woman once we're half way down the street.

What's more, someone bought a dog into the boutique bookstore/classroom. A DOG! From that direction, (and I'm praying the dog was to blame), a string of suspiciously audible trumpet-like sounds perfumed the air. And no one batted an eyelid!?? New Yorkers express themselves in every way possible, eh?

The Manhattan magic struck again as I meandered home through the Soho streets, trying on gorgeous handmade hats, perusing stunning original jewelry and salivating over oh-sooooo many shoes. (I've never been a fashion victim, but the sheer variety of style here has grasped me by the heart and inhaled me. So 'Sex & The City'!). I've been dreaming of yoga and pilates lately, and 'poof!' there was a yoga studio offering free introductory classes. I'll take one of those, THANK YOU.





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



6th April 2009

that old chestnut...dont blame it on the dog Penny, everyone knows it was you.
16th April 2009

Writing Classes....
Ohhh u so should be a writer. You write everything so detailed to the captivating sense of being where you are. This is something you must persue. A famous novel writer u may become? Well if the magic is still in the air...It will come in time. Good-Luck!
16th April 2009

Thanks Rosanne!
I reckon anyone can make it in this city. There are billions of opportunities. You need to get your art here ASAP!

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb