Chess, Baseball and footwear issues


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
April 25th 2008
Published: April 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Shea Stadium & the MetsShea Stadium & the MetsShea Stadium & the Mets

Rounders for pro's!
Tim: Today we decided that we would get some culture. So we headed to the American Museum of Natural History. We really did not know what to expect and found the place to be so vast that we could not possibly have got around it in the time we had.

(Before we left England, Tom and I went to get some traveling bags and whilst doing so also bought some footwear. I took ages to decided and in the end opted for some nice cool Teva shoes with air vents in etc for walking hot cities in the summer. Tom choose the biggest pair of hiking boots I had ever seen. We debated the merits of our choices and left it at that. After the 1st few days here Tom's shoes became know as the Nuclear shoes because his feet were so hot. For the last few days he has been in my flip flops which have torn his feet to shreds and by yesterday he was bleeding!)

I am not just going to point out Toms inadequacies here as I managed to get up at 4am shouting its 10am. Just to find out that I had put my
TomTomTom

has a clue @chess
watch on upside down 😞 Also I have managed to lock my combination lock open....don't ask me how. all good fun.

So from the museum we headed into Central Park and found the rather bohemian Chess and Checkers House. So we sat in the park and played chess for 5 mins. Tom kicked my ass twice and then set about teaching me how to play the god forsaken game. More of the same tomorrow maybe.

Later on we decided that we would catch a game at the Mets. The local NYC baseball team. We arrived at Shea Stadium and bought tickets which cost us about 13gbp. Bargain! We sat there for the best part of 30mins trying to figure out what the hell was going on with this silly game of rounders. Soon a local bona fide American sat next to us and was able to point out the 'finer' points of the game, this made it a lot more enjoyable.

Tom: yeah yeah, i bought silly shoes, tho at least i'll be pleased when we get some bad weather. As for the baseball, it's not too bad, as tim mentioned, 13gbp for a game of glorified
TimTimTim

hasn't
rounders isn't too bad at all. I don't think either of us will be rushing to catch another game as it seems to lack the excitement and action of reals mens games :D. (read football - not smegging soccer).




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

SamuraiSamurai
Samurai

from the oriental section of the Museum, which we both rather liked.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb