Lower Manhattan


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
February 16th 2020
Published: September 12th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Our trip to NYC in February was a quick long weekend and we were on the move the entire time. I am pretty sure we had walked 40 miles or more of the city that weekend. There is just so much to see!


Sunday morning we wanted to go south so we took the subway at Penn Station down to lower Manhattan, coming out of the Franklin Street Station in the Tribeca neighborhood.

From there we walked south.

We walked through Tribeca to Battery Park City, and spent time just taking in the 9/11 Memorial. I feel as if a part of me stayed there. I feel the fragility of our world and I know it makes me more aware of the surroundings of the world we live in today. Freedom isn't free. We must always be vigilant.

This day is about the importance of freedom. It wasn't meant to be. But it is.

Our next stop was a view of Lady Liberty. We didn't make the trek across to Liberty Island but we did enjoy a moment with her.

And I was excited to see the American Merchant Mariners Memorial in Battery. My Grandfather
TribecaTribecaTribeca

Varick Street FDNY Hook & Ladder 8 Station
served aboard more than one ship in the Merchant Marines that was sunk during WWII, so I love that I ran across it ?

From there we walked up the street to Fraunces Tavern, on the corner of Pearl & Broad in the Financial District. We stopped in for lunch and found that it has a fascinating history.


• It played a prominent role in history before, during, and after the American Revolution. The Fraunces Tavern served as a headquarters for George Washington, a venerable for peace negotiations with the British, and housing federal offices in the early republic. There is now a museum housed upstairs to preserve the history of the American Revolutionary era.
• The tavern has been owned since 1904 by Sons of the Revolution in the State of NY, which claims it is Manhattan's oldest surviving building.
• The tavern is a tourist site and part of the American Whiskey Trail and the New York Freedom Trail. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a New York City designated landmark.
• The block on which the tavern is located is a National Historic Landmark District and a NYC designated landmark district.
TribecaTribecaTribeca

The City's solution to the parking problem



We walked north out of the Financial District. NYC doesn't ever end does it.
Fraunces Tavern Info found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunces_Tavern


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

TribecaTribeca
Tribeca

at the corner of West Broadway and Reade Street is a great building with a sort of speakeasy on the ground floor.
Lower ManhattanLower Manhattan
Lower Manhattan

One World Trade Building
Battery PlaceBattery Place
Battery Place

The American Merchant Mariners' Memorial. My Grandfather served on a ship in WWII. ??
Battery PlaceBattery Place
Battery Place

The American Merchant Mariners' Memorial
The BatteryThe Battery
The Battery

Jersey City
The Statue of LibertyThe Statue of Liberty
The Statue of Liberty

She stands bright for our freedom
Lower ManhattanLower Manhattan
Lower Manhattan

Battery Park City
9/11 Memorial & Museum9/11 Memorial & Museum
9/11 Memorial & Museum

Its beautiful and awe-inspiring ??
World Trade CenterWorld Trade Center
World Trade Center

Inside Westfield World Trade Center
State Street PlazaState Street Plaza
State Street Plaza

This church that sits on the corner of State Street in lower Manhattan is home to Our Lady of the Rosary Roman Catholic Parish It was founded by Elizabeth Ann Seton in order to help support immigrants It is also home to the 9/11 Catholic Memorial It also houses a shrine to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, who worked tirelessly to ensure freedom of immigrants into the United States.
Fraunces TavernFraunces Tavern
Fraunces Tavern

On the corner of Pearl and Broad Street


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb