A Drive along the North Shore


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota
August 6th 2020
Published: September 11th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Brighton Beach ParkBrighton Beach ParkBrighton Beach Park

The shores of Lake Superior
Since 2020 is the year of modified everything, that's exactly how we spent our week in Minnesota this year. We spent it in a family hunting cabin after a couple days of socially distanced camping at Aunt and Uncle's farm.

The hunting cabin consisted of a main cabin to accommodate 4 adults, a bunkhouse which we filled the floor with air mattresses and got up to 6 kids in there for a week, and an outhouse. It was very rustic, but just perfect. We unplugged, we played, we ate, we laughed. We made s'mores over the campfire, and even made pudgy pies. Brought me way back to childhood travels with my grandparents.


We did spend one day on the road though, taking a drive along the North Shore from Duluth north to Tettegouche State Park, stopping along the way to see some beautiful scenery.


• First stop was Brighton Beach (Kitchi Gammi Park)
• Then on to Two Harbors and the Flood Bay State Wayside. Its a little stopover to park and go to the beach. The water was a little chilly but that didn't deter some. Just relaxing on the rocks and enjoying the view was enough for
Brighton Beach ParkBrighton Beach ParkBrighton Beach Park

The views are just beautiful.
me.
• I wanted to see Palisade Head, just a little farther north, within the Tettegouche State Park, so we made the trip up and am so happy we did. The parking up there was tight but the little wait was worth it. Spectacular!
• Silver Bay and Black Beach was the perfect place to stop for a picnic lunch and some playtime.
• We stopped for a photo op of Split Rock Lighthouse. At the time we went you could not get tickets into the lighthouse or any Keeper's buildings so we opted to just take photos--although I have been there before and it is definitely worth going to if you are in the area. It is an interesting story that you will have fun uncovering.
• Our last scenic stop of the day was Gooseberry Falls State Park. Its a busy place in the summer but an absolute must when in the area.



We ended the drive with a stop in Two Harbors for ice cream. It was the perfect ending to the perfect day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Brighton Beach ParkBrighton Beach Park
Brighton Beach Park

Skipping rocks and taking in the views
Two HarborsTwo Harbors
Two Harbors

Flood Bay
Two HarborsTwo Harbors
Two Harbors

Flood Bay It was a good place for skipping stones
Two HarborsTwo Harbors
Two Harbors

Flood Bay Rocks of the North Shore
Black BeachBlack Beach
Black Beach

Silver Bay, Minnesota It is also referred to as Onyx Beach because of the fine black sand that lines the shore. Picnic tables and a few trees make it a welcome stop for a picnic lunch.
Black BeachBlack Beach
Black Beach

Lots of fun in the water here too!
Black BeachBlack Beach
Black Beach

Taking a hike around the area and I find gorgeous views all around.


Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.111s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb