Autumn in the OC


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Hudson Valley
October 7th 2006
Published: October 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Reflections over GoshenReflections over GoshenReflections over Goshen

Flying over Finan's Pond, with the Presbyterian steeple in the background on a cool autumn morning.
So since I'm not setting off on my trip to the land down under for another couple of months, I figure I will tell you about the lovely Orange County, NY.
Yes, the O.C. The original O.C. since it existed long before the one in California.
Although I wasn't born here, I did grow up in Goshen, NY.

It's a small town. I like to joke that we don't even have a grocery store. We don't actually have one, but it's not actually that small of a town. I believe the village population is approaching 6,000; the town and village combined is probably around 12,000. Of course if you're from a big city, you consider Goshen tiny...but I'm sure residents of smaller towns further upstate would think Goshen is large. Or even the next town over...Florida, NY, with a population just shy of 3,000.

It was good growing up in a small town. And although it may be nicknamed Slow Motion Goshen by the teens and 20-somethings who find it boring, it is a pretty place. So here's some photos of Goshen and the surrounding areas.
Most of these photos were taken from the hot air balloon, of course.
Goshen from AboveGoshen from AboveGoshen from Above

The Village of Goshen from the air.
For those who don't already know, my family balloons.

Goshen is the seat of Orange County, and thus has an ugly government building, which doesn't fit in with the historic architecture. I think it's funniest from above. I'll have to post some photos of the historic parts of Goshen, for contrast.
Goshen has also been growing rapidly with the dying boom in real estate. Most of the farms have been sold to be turned into ugly McMansions or horse farms. However, beautiful views can be still found along Sarah Wells Trail, and at the town limits, where a few farms remain.

Oh, and there's often a squirrel sunbathing on my balcony.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Orange County BuildingOrange County Building
Orange County Building

The ugly county building looks perhaps the most ridiculous from above.
Goshen Farm in FogGoshen Farm in Fog
Goshen Farm in Fog

One of the few remaining farms, hidden in the morning fog.
Pond on Sarah Wells TrailPond on Sarah Wells Trail
Pond on Sarah Wells Trail

A pond along Sarah Wells Trail in the early autumn mist.
Sunbathing squirrelSunbathing squirrel
Sunbathing squirrel

All he needs is sunglasses.


13th September 2008

goshen village
I do not recognize any buildings of the village. Are you sure that is Goshen?
15th September 2008

goshen village
Yup, it's Goshen. The first street on the right leads to the Baby Place, the second street leads to the Hook & Ladder Fire Dept, the old Grand Union building is behind the hill in the top middle of the photo.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb