Olana and the City of Hudson


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Hudson Valley » Hudson
April 24th 2012
Published: April 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The Hudson River School Artist and one of America's most important painters, Frederick Church, fashioned Olana in the style of a Moorish castle. Church's family home (and studio) is situated high atop a mountain along the Hudson River between Germantown and the City of Hudson, NY. Our visit to Olana was in the late fall of 2011, but things don't change at Olana. In fact, the housewares, art, books, and souveniers from Frederick Church and family's significant voyages abroad are virtually intact - just as they were when they lived there. The property is part of the New York State Park's system.

The paintings, sculpture and furnishings Frederic and Isabel Church acquired over the course of their lives was described by a 19th century guest as, "a museum of fine arts rich in bronzes, paintings, sculptures and antique and artistic specimens from all over the world." Interior photos are not allowed, so credit goes to the Olana web page.



So much art, one can hardly see the walls!
Olana InteriorOlana InteriorOlana Interior

Photography isn't allowed inside Olana. So, this comes from the web site! Be ready for so much art that you can hardly see the walls.



The eclectic assortment includes, Middle Eastern carpets, metalwork, ceramics and costumes; old master paintings; Mexican and colonial folk art; pre-Columbian art; and 19th century American and Oriental furniture.

We paid a $5 "car fee" for admission to the grounds which includes the visitors center film and the gift shop. The guided house tour is about $9. Little children might not appreciate this attraction; but would love to romp around on the grounds. Olana was one of those bucket list items - so close to our Saratoga County homes, but visited prior. It's a lovely slice of New York State history and tribute to a world famous regional artist. So glad we visited.

Upon leaving Olana, we headed to Hudson for a great lunch out on the walled patio at Cafe Le Perche (Boulangerie, Bar, Patisserie) on Warren Street, Hudson. We hit town during the last hours of the 2011 Hudson Chatham Artswalk which looked to be amamazing. Hudson is choc-a-block with antique stores, boutiques and trendy places to eat. Chatham is historic and charming. All appeared to be lovely and well organized. For us Olana and a great late lunch with a stroll on Hudson's charming Main Street made a great "sister's" day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Cafe le Perche - PatisserieCafe le Perche - Patisserie
Cafe le Perche - Patisserie

The bakery is at the front of this popular restaurant. Do a Google on it for great reviews.
Cafe le PercheCafe le Perche
Cafe le Perche

This is part of the charmingly simple interior - the terrace was filled with flowers and herbs with morning glories creeping up the walls on the September day of our visit. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.


26th April 2012

Olana
Also on my bucket list! maybe this summer, especially after your review! ( :

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb