To La Fronterra (The Border)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico
October 3rd 2007
Published: October 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was epic...Great weather. Blue skies until sunset when I literally go poured on in the desert. Started in the Gila Mountains. The Gila Mountains feel more like WEst Virgina/North Carolina with the ruggedness and drainages going all over the place. Obviously dryier, but the landscape.

Came down a dirt road between two wilderness areas. the wildflowers were amazing. I definetely attribute it to the fact that there were no cattle around. The area had not been overgrazed like so much of the Rocky Mountain states.

Then went to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. I felt like I was being followed by Geronimo all day...This was his country his land. The Chiricahua Apache were fierce in the SW and in Northern Mexico. This country was rugged and if White man needed water every two days the apache could go 4 days without water. They were tough...Area has everything from Elk bugling in the morning to all the desert plants at lower elevations. It all changes with elevation. Water is the main life ingrediant here. Water is what makes it happen.

Finally, came into Silver City, NM. Nice climate, but just new mexico...Lots of lacs, rims, and spinners, and ghettoness...San Antonio style stuff winger...

Finally, moved fast south to the border to complete the Great Divide Trail on a road to nowwhere...Antelope Wells...I have know common sense idea what is the purpose of this road other than to bring drugs into the country. Hung out the border patrol armed to the hilt. They like to flash there lights at you to kind of spook you. Remind yourself I am an American and in America on a taxpayer road minding my own business. The border patrol agents refer to I-10 as the Highway to Freedom! If the illegals can make it there they are home sweet home. It takes about 3-4 days to get from the border in the desert to I-10 and you have to carry all your water. If not you have to go to the windmills. The border patrol sits by the windmills, like hunting over an oasis, and just picks them up.

The border is long and no way it can be secure. In capitalism, I would come to america too. Better to cross a border illegally to feed a family that to steal, fight, or kill for your basic needs. Until we combat the
Some Flower???Some Flower???Some Flower???

I think it is Beautiful...Anyone know the name
inequalities of poverty people will always come to America to work and look at America's Hollywood lifestyle with disgust. Thus, some of the Middle East hatred for America. Our consumption lifestyle of excess.

The Great Divide Trail was epic. I would definetely do it again on a motorcycle! I would love to have a riding buddy to explore many of the single track opportunites that lie East and West of the trail!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Anazasi Style DoorAnazasi Style Door
Anazasi Style Door

Mongollon People Lived Here though
Octillo CactusOctillo Cactus
Octillo Cactus

Chihuahuan Desert from New Mexico to just above Mexico City...
Gage RoadGage Road
Gage Road

This was for U Stampley!!!
Gage Road in the DesertGage Road in the Desert
Gage Road in the Desert

Maybe the Gage family has a ranch!!!
Dry HeatDry Heat
Dry Heat

Thought of Herbie and Sheila on the Divide and I-10
RainbowRainbow
Rainbow

I got rained on in the Desert...Bad Luck


5th October 2007

friend
you know its funny that you want a friend because the next time you want to go let me know and illl be right there with you im serious
5th October 2007

camping in new mexico
Steve -- the photos and all the blogs are amazing. Remember camping in the aspen trees in the mountains of New Mexico and waking to gunfire and the first day of hunting season? Travel safe!
5th October 2007

Camping In New Mexico
Oh ya...There are some darlics out there...I think Elk hunting season had just ended in Colorado and New Mexico when I came through...I did awake to Elks bugling about every morning in the high country in New Mexico...
7th October 2007

Steve, I love the blog and the photos are absolutely awwwwsome!!! stay safe.
8th October 2007

Gage Road!
Thanks for the Gage Road pics - nice!!! Looks like such an amazing trip, Steve. You're getting really good at the photography too. BTW, have you seen the film "Into the Wild"? It's a little intense, but I think you'll like it.

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb