We're taking a road cruise


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico
August 11th 2007
Published: August 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We’re on the road again. This time, instead of sailing the seas on a luxury cruise liner, we’re driving the back roads of Northwestern New Mexico and Southwestern Colorado. Our plan is to stop in Grants, New Mexico to explore two National Monuments - El Malpais and El Morrow. Then, it’s on to Ouray, Colorado for some high mountain 4-wheel touring.

This morning our drive takes us from desert to mountains through some of my favorite countryside along the Arizona/New Mexico border. As the road climbs near the Gila National Wilderness, I make notes for future trips. Sparsely populated, the area offers plenty to see but few accommodations unless you are a camper or backpacker.

We are not alone on the road. Motorcyclists are everywhere. In Reserve, a gas station owner explains that the motorcyclists are holding a charity ride. There must be a hundred bikes parked at the saloon across the highway.

We stop for lunch on a national forest road somewhere between Apache Creek and Quemado. Alan parks the car in a clearing underneath the tall pines, where birds twitter while we eat our lunch of cheese, grapes, blueberries and crackers. A slight wind rustles through the pine boughs. Across the road, cattle graze under a deep blue sky decorated with white, puffy clouds.

We reach El Malpais National Monument by late afternoon. The setting sun paints a colorful picture as Highway 117 takes us between sandstone cliffs and the lava fields of El Malpais. Too tired for photo taking, we save our exploring for tomorrow.


Advertisement



18th August 2007

I love New Mexico and Arizona.
It looks like you are familiar with area. Have you ever gone to Gallup and wandered through all the shops and trading posts? Once in a while you find a pretty neat thing. The last time we were in Ouray we spent the night overlooking the city in a snowstorm, beautiful!! Have you ever been to southern Arizona? Bisbee and Patagonia are a wee bit different. Happy trails to you, HamLou
18th August 2007

Thanks, HamLou. We're very familiar with southern Arizona. Patagonia is a favorite. If you haven't been there, visit Chiricahua National Monument in Cochise County. Beautiful!

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb