Wednesday....psuedo day off


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Taos
September 21st 2011
Published: September 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Note: sorry about the delay in posts....the Travel Blog web site has been down and their photo up loader isn't working at this time.

Hope you are doing well this evening. Can you believe that its already Thursday....wow....does time fly when you are serving you're community. We need to catch you up on a few days of fun and adventure in New Mexico!

So.....if you recall the last time we blogged Team Taos was getting ready to hit the road on a "free day". Our team leader Linda had the day jammed packed with interesting sites to visit, shopping, and our favorite....the local cuisine! Mmmm, mmmmm, GOOD! Wednesday was a blast.

Our first stop was at the Taos Pueblo. Taos Pueblo is the only living Native American community designated both a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and a National Historic Landmark. The multi-storied adobe buildings have been continuously inhabited for over 1000 years. We won't be able to share online with you pictures of the pueblo (strict sharing rules for various reasons) but check out the web site: http://www.taospueblo.com/. What a fantastic place, it was like stepping back in time hundreds of years.

At the pueblo there was plenty of shopping...so those of you who are related to Team Taos members make sure to hint that you know they went shopping.

Onto the Earthships.....not mothership, Earthship. It is a community of 65 homes in the middle of no where, and the homes were all built out of indigenous materials to the human population (e.g. Tires, cans, bottles). If you are in the market for one of these homes, $340,000, check out the web site: www.Earthship.com.

The Rio Grande GORGE....I like that word.....was our next stop. Bob and Peggy walked onto the HUGE bridge and did a little skip because they conquered a fear of heights and shaky bridges when semis drove over (yikes)! Beautiful scenes and vistas...it's hard to imagine that the little river down below carved such a deep gorge. Some of us stuck around to do a little hiking while others hopped in the other cars and headed to downtown Taos to do some well deserved shopping.

Magically we all ended up at Graham's Grill (this was scheduled to be a night on our own but we are such a cohesive group we ended up finding each other at the same place to eat). Fantastic cuisine and presentations much that we didn't want to eat..although we did.

A few drinks later, a lot of laughs, and a impromptu celebration of Linda's imaginary birthday and we headed home.

We headed home in the dark which was beautiful and scenic in itself with all the house lights in the mountains and the stars glimmering in the dark night sky. It is so quiet here....

If the Stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown! But every night come out these envoys of beauty, and light the universe with their admonishing smile. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb