Silver City and Pinos Altos


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post


Please bear with us there could be pictures that are of no interest to you. These are for our personal friends Bob and Mary Nelson that lived in Pinos Altos). We woke up to a magnificent morning today. It was 60 degrees at 6:00a.m. and we saw some Gambel’s Quail and Jack Rabbits while drinking coffee. (see pictures) Headed up to Silver City and stopped at the Information Center where they had lots of history related stories for us. The woman on duty talked about the cliff dwellings and copper mines (Grant Co./ Silver City is the richest county in NM). Also we were told to check out the “Old City” that has much restoration in progress. Just outside the center was a log cabin that was donated by Ron Howard, used in the movie “The Missing” 2003. Silver City is at an elevation of about 6000’ and when we went north to Pinos Altos (Lots of Pinon Pines), another 8 miles, we added another 1000’. Saw the Pinos Altos Opera House and Buckhorn Saloon and Restaurant. Nothing was open except the museum and only the proprietor was there, but we chatted with him. Looked like a Ghost town. lol The Cliff Dwelling would have been another 2 hours up a 40 mile winding road and we didn’t have time, so we headed home and on the way saw many Soap Tree Yuccas/Century plants (these only bloom once then die.) {see picture}. A large Dust Devil greeted us along the road on the way home, spinning “tumble weed” high into the air. A fun day!




Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



11th June 2013

...so little room to comment! That\'s a huge jackrabbit! As tall as a yardstick, really?/ Looks like just an ordinary bird to me./ Never saw the movie, but I like the cabin./I want some rocks, too!/ That\'s a fancy hat, little lady.
11th June 2013

Did you ever find where Bob lived??????
And I see that you had breakfast with one of the "Hare" family!
12th June 2013

Where did Bob live?
I take it, you never found Bob's home?
12th June 2013

His House Had Been Raised
....

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb