Racing at Riudoso Downs


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

It's not often that we find ourselves in the right place at the right time on our travels. It's quite normal for us to miss some event that we would have gone to by just a day or two. So, imagine our surprised when our timing turned out to be perfect for the opening weekend of horse racing at Ruidoso Downs.

Off we went back to New Mexico dreaming of making a fortune as winner after winner came in. Sadly, that really was just a dream! The reality was that in the opening five races we had won the grand total of ZERO. Still, the view was nice as the racecourse is beautifully located with a backdrop of pine covered mountains. The beer was pretty good too, and we even succumbed to some new baseball caps in the souvenir shop.

When your luck is not in, what can you do to change it? Russ had the crazy idea of inviting his Facebook friends to choose a number between one and ten. Each race has only ten runners sprinting rather too quickly along the quarter mile of dirt towards the finishing line. The number chosen was SIX so off he went to place his bet. Soon enough the race began and a mere 20 seconds later it was over. Would you believe it, number SIX won!! Ok, so it wasn't a fortune but it was a winner, and that was enough to satisfy us.

There were sixteen races on the card that day but we only stayed for the first twelve. As well as watching the races, it was a great place for people watching. There were lots of cowboy hats on display and a huge selection of boots to boot! If you ever get the chance, go and watch these horses race. You'll be amazed by the brute strength they have which is delivered with such grace by their loyal jockeys - except for when the jockey falls off, of course. OUCH!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



12th June 2015
Deep in concentration

Excellent shot
True concentration.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb