UFOs and Bottomless Lakes


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Roswell
March 18th 2008
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Roswell
I didn’t know much about Roswell, prior to our arrival. In fact the only thing that came to mind was UFO’s and an alleged spaceship crash in 1947. Of course we had to visit the UFO Museum and Research Center while we were in the area, but we also visited the Roswell Museum and Art Center. We enjoyed our visit to Roswell and the surrounding area. I was surprised that this is an area for agriculture, milk production, and pecan groves.

Bottomless Lakes State Park
We camped at the Bottomless Lakes State Park and learned that they really aren’t bottomless; the deepest one is 90 feet deep. The lakes were formed when the caverns below collapsed and then filled with water from below. There is a stream that drains Lea Lake to the Pecos River and there was a surprising amount of water flowing out of the lake. Lea Lake is also popular with scuba divers. The lakes vary in their saltiness.

UFO Museum and Research Center
This museum opened in 1992 and over one million people have visited it since then. The annual average attendance is 150,000 people representing 35 countries and every state. There are

displays, films, newspaper clippings, statements and interactive maps. We arrived skeptical, but left with a sense that there had been some kind of cover-up. Whether the cover up had been a spaceship or something else is unclear, but it seems very likely that something happened that the government didn’t want the world to know about.

Their website is www.roswellufomuseum.com. It’s a fun and informative website. There is even a form for reporting UFO sightings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Another cover-up?Another cover-up?
Another cover-up?

No, just some unstable soil.
Not snowNot snow
Not snow

The Bottomless Lakes are actually salty, so if the water level goes down, a salty residue if left.
Lea Lake and bathhouseLea Lake and bathhouse
Lea Lake and bathhouse

This lake is 90 feet deep. Neeko would take his morning swim in it and be frisky from the cold water.
Lea LakeLea Lake
Lea Lake

This is one of the Bottomless Lakes. Our Rv is camped down there on the left.
Lea Lake CliffLea Lake Cliff
Lea Lake Cliff

This is a popular lake for scuba divers.
Another of the Bottomless LakesAnother of the Bottomless Lakes
Another of the Bottomless Lakes

These lakes are still forming and this is one of the smaller lakes.


Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0894s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb