Carlsbad Caverns


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Carlsbad
March 15th 2008
Published: March 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Big Room TourBig Room TourBig Room Tour

This is a view down one of the side alcoves. The lighting throughout the cavern was designed by a Broadway lighting expert. The lighting is excellent as the eye is drawn to various structures. The sources of the light are descrete and the wiring is well hidden.

Carlsbad Caverns National Park and World Heritage Site

Carlsbad Caverns are located in the Chihuahuan Desert of the Guadalupe Mountains. The caves were first entered over 1,000 years ago by American Indians. The brochure states that there are drawings on the cave walls near the natural entrance, but no signs that they entered further into the dark areas. In the 1800’s the settlers discovered the natural entrance, due to the thousands of bats leaving the cave. This is still a spectacle that can be enjoyed from early spring to October. The bat exodus can last from 20 minutes to 2 ½ hours and involves a few hundred thousand bats. We were too early in the year to see the bats, as they have not yet returned from their migration to their southern winter homes in Mexico. There is a bat viewing amphitheater at the natural cave entrance.

We started our self guided tour by entering through the natural cave entrance. It is a 1.25 mile downhill hike and descends about 800 feet. It is recommended only for those that are physically fit and healthy; sturdy footwear is required. The ranger at the entrance also reiterates that this is

Natural cave entranceNatural cave entranceNatural cave entrance

And down we go and go and go some more.
a strenuous hike. Only water is allowed to be carried in, as they want to limit the contamination of the cavern. I was amused at the warning to use our indoor library voice, as sound will carry throughout the cavern. I found it was natural to talk quietly during our tour, as it felt like we were in a sacred cathedral. Mother Nature certainly knows how to build an awe inspiring structure!

The walk downward seemed to go on and on. There were many switchbacks and new areas not apparent until the next turn. Our necks got tired from looking up and in every direction. We rented an audio device which allowed us to listen to information about what we were seeing. Along our route there were numbered markers and at that point we would stop and punch in the corresponding number. It made it an informative hike at our own pace. We met one ranger who was walking in the opposite direction, so his entire hike was uphill. I can’t imagine doing that!!

The natural entrance hike can be avoided by taking the elevator, so fortunately we could leave the cavern without having to retrace our steps.
View as we start down into the caveView as we start down into the caveView as we start down into the cave

One last look at the blue sky, before I go any deeper.
In the area by the elevator there is a lunchroom and restrooms. We took a brief break before heading on to the Big Room self guided tour. It was an additional 1.25 miles, but this time it was mostly level. We spent about 4 hours in the cavern and came out weary.

There are several other guided tours that are available, and the group size varies from 8 to 75 people. Some required crawling, climbing ladders, tight squeezes and getting dirty. One tour that I thought sounded like fun was a lantern-lit tour, but we’ve seen enough of Carlsbad Cavern for this trip, so perhaps another time. The guided tours require fees in addition to the entrance fee. The tours also require reservations and some tours fill up quickly, so reservations may need to be made well in advance. Reservations can be made by calling (877) 444-6777. I’d also like to return sometime to see the bats. It seems the more we do and see, the more things get added to my list of things I’d like to do. It’s just never ending!

Carlsbad Cavern website: www.nps.gov/cave.





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Chihuahuan desert on a windy dayChihuahuan desert on a windy day
Chihuahuan desert on a windy day

This is the view from the parking area at Carlsbad caverns. There was reduced visibility due to the blowing dust. Later we could see even further.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb