Las Cruces


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Las Cruces
December 17th 2021
Published: December 18th 2021
Edit Blog Post

We are now in full vacation mode and fully adjusted to Mountain Time. Today we head to New Mexico, first stop Las Cruces. Not much is on the agenda for today, the main reason we are stopping here is to make the travel day shorter for Tarragon, who also has fully adjusted to the travel schedule as well. Las Cruces is approximately the half way point between Tucson and Carlsbad, which is where we are heading to for the Caves.

Since this is a short travel day, it allowed us the opportunity to sleep in, all the way to 7 am, which is 30 minutes longer than when I am at home. I have done a very good job so far of fully disconnecting from work, but unfortunately, I do have to check e-mails this evening. I am strategically planning my checking of e-mails so the likely hood of an immediate response to my response is greatly reduced.

* * *

The drive from Tucson to Las Cruces was fairly uninteresting, a lot of high desert and Interstate 10 the entire way. Lots of billboards for big souvenir stops along the way. We crossed the continental divide along the way. The speed limit is 75 so it went by fast. We did stop for lunch in Lordsburg, NM, a town that had clearly seen better days. Almost everything was abandoned and boarded up. We had lunch at Ramona’s, basically the only business that appeared to be open. It was a true hole in the wall type of place, five tables. Most of the orders were for takeout, they did a pretty brisk business. The food was amazingly good. I had the special carnitas with rice and beans and guacamole. Jerry had chicken enchiladas with green sauce. Whenever you order in New Mexico they typically ask you two questions, red or green, corn or flour. Red or green referring to the type of chili sauce you want, and of course corn or flour referring to the type of Tortilla. The carnitas were crispy and tasting. The enchilada was layered not rolled. Both were good and certainly stick to your ribs type of food.

From there it was on to Las Cruces, check into the hotel and check work e-mails. Which took all of 5 minutes to stress me out. We are now getting ready for dinner in Mesilla, so more on that when we return.

* * *

Back from Dinner in the Mesilla Historic Plaza. When we first came into town, we took a bit of a side trip to check it out, which turned out to be a good thing since parking is non-existent. By visiting during the day, we discovered that there was plenty of public parking at the town hall/court house, just a few blocks from the plaza.

On the way to dinner, we drove through downtown Las Cruces, which was all decorated for the season. It was a quick drive, and of course Siri and google maps made it easier. Tonight’s dinner was at the Double Eagle right on the Mesilla Plaza about a block from the Basilica of San Albino (circ 1906).

The buildings surrounding the plaza had luminaria atop their roofs (not true luminaria as these were lights not candles) the center of the plaza was decked out in holiday lights. We had a bit of a wait, not really sure why since they had plenty of open tables, before we were led in to the main dinning room. Certainly, the nicest of the places we have had dinner so far on this trip. There does not seem to be a back story to the restaurant, it is pretty much a steak house with lots of dishes prepared tableside.

We started with a glass of Gruet (New Mexican Sparkling Wine). It was a freshly opened bottle so extra bubbly. The menu had a few New Mexican touches but was again primarily a steak house. We started with a bowl of Red Chile Posole, very good and good spice to it. We then of course could not resist the tableside Caesar Salad. It comes in 4th of the best we have had. The pacing was perfect and was helped by a large company Christmas party in the banquet room. The entrees were outstanding, nicely cooked, hot and very delicious. Jerry had the Long Bone Short Rib with a red chile demi-glace. It melted in your mouth. I had the Chicken Mesilla, a bone in chicken breast with a green chili, onion, Monterey Jack topping. It was served with a side of mashed potatoes smothered with a chile con queso sauce. Mine was by far the dish of the day. Dinner was paired with a nice bottle of L’ Ecole 41 Merlot (from Walla Walla, WA).

It was a very nice evening and again ate too much to have any dessert. Although we are in the land of pecans. As we drove through both Arizona and New Mexico there were tons of Pecan Orchards. It also is apparently the pistachio capital of the world.

Tomorrow will have more sightseeing and scenic beauty so the blog should be more interesting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



18th December 2021

On my list
Touring through New Mexico is on my list. Definitely looking forward to reading about the places that you visit. Have a wonderful holiday!

Tot: 0.419s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb