Back to Life, Back to Reality


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Jersey
April 17th 2010
Published: April 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So I'm back in Franklin Lakes here with my last entry and summary of my 2 weeks travelling with the parents! It feels very strange to be back here, almost feels as though the past 3 months never happened which is sad because I never want to forget a moment of my trip. Anyways, here's what I've been up to for the past 2 weeks...

The day my parents arrived I tried to keep them busy so they could overcome jetlag as much as possible! After meeting them at their hotel we headed towards the Sydney Harbour to see my favorite Opera House and have a bite to eat. After lunch we got on a bus to Bondi Beach. The weather was sunny but windy so the beach was a little cold to lay on but we managed to stay a little while and at least let my parents see how beautiful the area is.

Later that night we went to a German restaurant for my Dad's birthday and had some wonderful food, it's always nice to get full from a meal after months of sandwiches and spaghetti! I then showed my parents around the hostel and let my parents get to bed!

The next day we took the ferry to the Tarronga Zoo to see the new baby elephant! We also caught the amazing bird show where you also get a beautiful view of the harbour! After a lovely day of animals I showed my parents Darling Harbour where the Aquarium is and many little shows were going on for an Easter weekend celebration. We then walked through the city to get a view of some landmarks like Townhall and the Queen Victoria Building. We then had authentic chinese cuisine at a little hole in the wall. Then I again put the parents to bed and went to the hostel to hang out with some friends! Everything was closed since it was Good Friday with the exception of Pancakes on the Rocks, of course. So me, Rauri and Heather went and got delicious pancakes, the perfect ending to the day!

Saturday was spent being super touristy on a double decker bus circling the city followed by another meal at pancakes on the rocks only this time I took the parents! Later I went to the Argyle with some people and then woke up bright and early the next morning for church on Easter Sunday! After church we had some lunch and then got on a plane to Cairns.

Unfortunately it was raining the whole time we were there. We managed to get a few hours of clouds without rain for snorkling the great barrier reef but all in all kind of a wash out. I also got sea sick for the first time in my life, very exciting! I was totally fine as we enjoyed the boat ride out to the platform but about 30 minutes into it a little boy threw up everywhere, all his seat, all over himself, all over his mom...the sight and smell of it all triggered me and then it was all over. Eventually we got to the platform, I got it together and got to see some amazing fish and coral! The brightest colors I've ever seen it was crazy! On the way back I took some motion sickness meds and passed out to avoid having another pukey experience. Next day I wandered around by myself in the rain. I found a rainforest dome on the top of a casino and got picture #2 taken holding a koala! I really didn't care about the picture this time though, just wanted to hold the little guy and it was only $5 so reasonable enough! Later that night my parents and I went for dinner and a magic show at the casino. Australia's #1 magician of the year!!! Let me just tell you, you all wish you could only have been there for this experience.

3 tickets to dinner and a magic show = $90, seeing my Dad on stage assisting a magician...priceless! So as many of you know my Dad has trouble understanding people, words in songs, etc. Add an Australian accent into the mix and it makes it that much more interesting. Most of you may also know my Dad isn't the most animated, talkative of creatures...so put him next to the most animated, energetic man in the world and the result is Mom and Megan in tears! There were literally moments where the magician would ask Dad a question and he would just look at him in silence...and watching Dad react to all the cheesey magician lines and things was amazing... Can't really describe the experience anymore than about 15 minutes of hilarity, I wish I had it all on camera!

Next day we were off to Uluru to see Ayers Rock (which is now actually called Uluru). The red center, as they call it, is pretty incredible. This is where most of the aboriginees live, living the same way they've lived for hundreds of years, killing their food, living off the land, walking around naked. Of course their communities are secluded enough that you wouldn't see them, or be allowed in even if you could, but occasionally at some rest stops or along the road you'd see some getting supplies and things. It's crazy to see these children with such dark skin and almost blonde hair. And interesting to think that there are still tribes preserving their culture and way of living just as their ancestors did hundreds of years ago.

So we had snacks watching the sun set on Uluru and earlier in the day got a bus tour showing another set of rocks that I can't remember the name. Beautiful place....and the flies think so too...I think this is where every fly in the world comes to breed, for vacation, to party, etc. they're all here! Next day onto Alice Springs for a quick stop before a plane to Adelaide. In transition my Dad managed to leave his iphone on a bus...getting it back was the biggest process ever but my Dad managed to find some bus driver to drop it to another one heading our way and eventually it made its way to Adelaide...my Dad was very concerned about his little child for a while though!

Once in Adelaide we made our way to Kangaroo Island! There were some clouds on and off but it didn't rain until the end of the trip and the clouds gave us about a dozen rainbows! There was actual a full double rainbow we saw at the end of the trip! While on the island we saw kangaroos, koalas and seals all up close in the wild. Mom and I also got to hold Kookaburras, Australia's national bird. It really was a lovely day! We then went to Melbourne which was freezing, raining and no fun! Then I flew to Sydney and my parents flew to New Zealand. I managed to get a cold and did nothing my last night in Australia and got up early to fly back to the states 😞

I managed to meet one last character before leaving Australia though, a 28 year old guy from Greenwich, CT. He was completely drunk at 9:30am waiting for our flight to LA. He also was continuing to drink a little flask he had just bought which he eventually dropped on the floor spilling liquor all over. Entertaining way to start my flight! He was nice enough though, plays the drums, pretty funny guy but very glad he wasn't sitting next to me! So I made it through my flight to LA and my flight to Newark and back home. Thank God it's not totally freezing here now and the sun stays up later or I'd really be depressed.

One thing I can say for sure is I will never look at traveling the same again. I no longer think I could be satisfied going on vacation the way I used to. I would prefer to stay in hostels now where I get to meet people, cook my own food and have other common rooms and decks and things to hang out in as opposed to one little hotel room. Not only do you save so much money which allows you to do so much more but you really feel like you're experiencing another place instead of just visiting it.

Well that's it, the end of my trip and my blog. I hope you've enjoyed reading it and now that I'm home maybe I'll try to get some videos and pictures up to correspond with the different posts. Will I ever return to Australia? I'm pretty sure I will...and other travels you say? I would predict more in the future with more blogs as well 😊

Advertisement



18th April 2010

Thanks for the Trip!!!
Meg, Thanks for taking us to Australia with you. I really enjoyed all of the Blogs and learned a lot about the country and all of the interesting people you met. Peace, Ed (and Mary)

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb