May 23 Delaware Water Gap, PA to Mohican Outdoor Center, NJ 10.8 Miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Jersey
June 1st 2009
Published: June 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Rest is over; time to hit the trail again. Up by 6:30AM and having some fresh fruit for breakfast. The two guys who said they were going to be out early were still in the bag when I went into the hostel. So much for the early risers.
Seems when the young guys hit town, no one gets up early the next day. The other two guys are zeroing today, so I didn't expect to see them up this early. We had everything ready to go by 8:15. The sky is fairly clear, a light breeze blowing, and the temp in the mid 60s already.

Walking north we hit the bridge over the Delaware River in about five minutes and PA is complete! Only seven more states to do. Being Memorial Day Weekend there are lots of people out walking, hiking and camping. The trailhead parking lot looked more like a Wal-Mart on payday. People walked up and down the trail some out for the day others out for the weekend.

The trail started up a gully where Dunfield Creek ran down to the Delaware River. Stately pines and hard woods towered overhead. The air was a spring fresh that you only get in a forest. The falling water sang its happy song flowing across the rocks. Our packs didn't seem quit as heavy as they have when leaving town. The rocks were tolerable and not nearly as bad as PA. Strange how only a few miles make such a big difference. We made our normal two mph average and then some.

Reaching the top of the mountain we came to Sunfish Pond. A 41 acre affair that is only accessed by walking in. We skirted the shore only inches from the water. The trail ran through green walls of Mountain Laural and the edge of the water. Towards the north shore we came upon an area where hikers had built stone cairns. In the past we have added a stone here or there, but never built a big one from scratch. CC said it would be fun so we set to the task. There was one built out in the lake that had two legs coming together at the top. We took that lead and in about fifteen minutes had a beautiful specimen of our own making.
Pictures were taken and off we went. Frogs croaked in the shallows of the pond as we walked by, such a loud noise from such a small creature.

Reentering the woods CC was startled by movement uphill from the trail. The brush was so thick we couldn't tell what animal was up there. She thought a cat or a deer but was unsure and closed the gap between us quickly. I think I saw a deer’s ear and head, but couldn't swear to it. We worked our way higher and higher up the mountain. Lunch was had on a small bald watching the tow plane pull gliders to altitude for release. With just over ten miles to do we had only 3.5 more to walk after lunch. A Ridgerunner met us just after lunch headed south. He was a pleasant guy in a jolly mood. Walking today was the best we have done in the past week, feet, back, attitude and weather were all good.

We made Mohican Outdoor Center by 2PM. We were unsure of how things worked here as the place is run by the Appalachian Mountain Club. Long distance hikers can tent free, but we didn't know about how many they could accommodate. Being a long weekend the place was full. By the grace of God, the man who was in front of us at the registration desk canceled a tent site he had reserved as some of his group could not make it. We were assigned the last and only free site to be had.

Tonight is somewhat sad for us. We have been "slinky dogging" with a guy.
Randy aka Highwayman had to leave the trail yesterday and go home. We had been walking the same miles each day for the past week. He is the quietest packer we have met. He would be up by 5:30AM, do all he needed to do without hardly a sound. He was on the trail by 7AM at the latest. Our pace was about the same so with an hour or so head start we never caught him on the trail all day. He would be waiting in camp when we got there. We had many great conversations and turned into fairly good friends. Randy when you read this, know our prayers go out to you and your family and we hope you will be back to the trail before too long.

Tonight they even have live music at a communal building here at 8PM. We might go but it is 6:30 and CC is on her bag "resting her eyes." Looks like sleeping to me, but what do I know. Tomorrow is 14.3 miles to the Brink Road Shelter. We also did get to catch our youngest daughter by phone this afternoon to wish her Happy Birthday. It's on Monday and we were not sure if we would be able to connect then because of our schedules. Nice to take a day off but better to be back on the trail.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost


Advertisement



Tot: 0.992s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.79s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb