Graveyard


Advertisement
Published: April 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

SadSadSad

"When life was sweetest then she died." Quote from bottom of marker. A tombstone from 1886 in the old Quaker graveyard.
After work today I ran by the local library to pick up some research materials. Sadly they don't have old newspaper on microfilm where I can check some of the articles and Obits I need to find. But I was able to track down a book I wanted and it gave me a chance to drive over to the old cemetary.

Right in the historic part of town is the old Quaker meeting house. Surrounded on one side by a graveyard. The graves are almost all older the newest ones being from just the 1990's. But there are very few of those and most date back to the 19th century. Some probably further. But it is so hard to tell as many are so weather beaten that the words are now obscured. Others are broken in pieces and barely above the ground. Pete moss covers many of the grave markers that sit off in the distance. Shaded by trees and surrounded by earth and brush.

I walked among the tombstones trying to read as many of the names as I could. On the majority of the markers I wasn't able to make out more then a few letters. I
Meeting HouseMeeting HouseMeeting House

Quaker meeting house. Not in the best condition but not bad for a house over two hundred years old.
took photos of some of the better preserved ones. The one with quote on the bottom seems like it must have a hell of a story behind it. "When life was sweetest then she died." I suppose that is a story lost to time now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

GraveyardGraveyard
Graveyard

Wider view of the graves.
PiecesPieces
Pieces

The remains of several grave markers. Broken and half buried by the earth. The graveyard is littered with them. Tombstones either broken or barely readable from weather and abuse.
BrokenBroken
Broken

Broken grave marker
EntranceEntrance
Entrance

Roadway Entrance
Road signRoad sign
Road sign

Township marker regarding the meeting house and graveyard.
LibraryLibrary
Library

Town library.


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb