Final Thoughts


Advertisement
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tanzania has so much going for it - natural beauty, friendly people, and and an ideal location. It is consistently overshadowed by its more prosperous and well-known neighbor, Kenya, but in many ways it supersedes Kenya because of its relative peacefulness. Nevertheless, as past entries have shown, there is a lot to improve in Tanzania that would make it a much better place for tourists looking for nature and a taste of Africa.

(1) Improve roads and other transportation to make it easier for people to get into and around the country. Additionally, it would facilitate healthcare improvements by reducing dust.

(2) Standardize and make reliable utility services like water and electricity. This is a quality of life issue.

(3) Eliminate government corruption and hold elected officials accountable for their actions.

(4) Move the entire capital to Dodoma and force the government offices to move there. Although implemented incorrectly, Nyerere's idea was not a bad way to develop the interior. With the proper resources, Dodoma could offer and alternative to the hectic Dar and touristy Arusha.

(5) Rectify the status of Zanzibar so that it is an integral part of Tanzania (after all, the "zan" in Tanzania is for Zanzibar). Its semi-autonomousness is detrimental to the people of the mainland because it takes away much-needed resources. As a regular province (or few provinces) in the newly decentralized Tanzania, it will still have power but will no longer have its own customs and immigration for thsoe arriving from the mainland.

(6) Increase the use of English in secondary schools but permit tertiary education in Kiswahili. I was told that English-speakers in secondary schools are considered teachers' pets. That does not encourage use and proficiency in the language. In higher education, students learning in Swahili will retain more and become more competitive on the world stage. Yes, English is needed in international affairs and within the tourist industry, but improvements in English education will offset any detriment to Swahili at universities. As the national language, it should be used. After all, most other countries in the world teach in their national languages....

(7) Advertise to foreigners and encourage tourism by reducing inconsistencies in the tourism industry (i.e. hotel prices arbitrarily decided at the time of booking and random extra charges added on afterwards).

(8) Remain true to its African roots. Fine, many tourists want Western comforts but many are also looking to see something new. Tanzania has thus far maintained a lot of its roots but it needs to be careful not to fall into the trap that many other African nations have faced - a fakeness put in for tourists.

These eight things may seem to suggest that Tanzania is not a good place. That's not true. On the contrary, these eight suggestions would not only attract more foreign investment and tourists, but also would improve the quality of life for Tanzanians. From my two months in the country I believe that it is definitely moving in the right directions. The government is cracking down on itself. Morogoro Road between Mwenge and Ubungo is nearly finished. The government is forcing more ministries to Dodoma.

I want to return one day soon to see the progress and also to revisit the country where I spent so much time with friends, made so many friends, and made everlasting memories. It's good to know that these things I've seen can never be taken away from me. This study abroad program has been an invaluable experience for my studies and for my life.

This blog is now signing off until my next great worldly adventure. I hope you have enjoyed hearing about my travels these past 10 weeks and I look forward to getting started on my next big trip!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb