New Hampshire


Advertisement
Published: May 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Middle Child's CatchMiddle Child's CatchMiddle Child's Catch

Our friend's 12 year old teaching ours how to gut a trout
Continuing north we passed through upstate New York, Massachusetts, and Vermont on our way to New Hampshire. After telling our kids where we were headed our youngest said, “I hope they don't have a lot of hamsters there. Do they bite?” We've had potential encounters with rattlesnakes and bears, both of which she was rather concerned about meeting. Now she was worried about rabid hamsters of Hampshire. “No, honey, don't worry. I don't think they have too many hamsters, and no, they don't bite.” Phew, you could see the relief on her face! (We didn't think to tell her about the biting black flies though.)

After coming from the open-air mid-west the dense forest and hilly roads seemed to close us in. Old-America style homes, cemeteries with leaning tombstones, and quaint towns seemed to take us back in time. Our time in New England would be brief, it seemed there was so much beneath the surface of what we could see as we drove by that we wouldn't be able to dig into.

Nevertheless, we had a great time doing what we had come there to do...visit friends that we hadn't seem in 8 years! What a joy to catch up with so many people on this cross-country adventure! They and their children introduced us to the great country life of NH: fishing, nerf wars, shooting rifles, and ticks. They also helped us to celebrate our eldest's 12th birthday! We went candlestick bowling (if you don't know it's bowling with small balls and tall thin pins) and had mac and cheese and ice cream cake. What fun! I should mention that the day before we celebrated Daddy's birthday...he drove all day for his birthday ; ) I'm sure we'll have more opportunities to celebrate with family after we get off the road.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb