Bath, Maine Maritime Museum, Portsmouth


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Hampshire » Portsmouth
September 15th 2016
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.0708, -70.7782

Bath is located south of where we were staying on Highway 1. The visitors bureau is an old railway station. The people there were very helpful. The town itself has many older buildings including one of the upper streets which has many grand old houses of various styles.

The Maine Maritime Museum was a real treasure. The site of the museum was a facility for the construction of wooden ships and schooners in the past. The largest was the Wyoming. The metal sculpture representation is full size although the masts were about 50% higher than shown. It is hard to imagine the size of these wooden ships. The museum consisted of several buildings which illustrated the various processes involved in the construction of a wooden sailing ship.

The City of Bath is known for its shipbuilding industry. The General Dynamics yard builds destroyers for the US Navy.

We continued along Highway 1 to Portsmouth which proved to be a tedious drive through numerous tourist towns and outlet malls.

Portsmouth is interesting because of the numerous older buildings and narrow side streets which were like one would see in Europe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Chocolate farmChocolate farm
Chocolate farm

Which was closed when we went there.


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb