Jackson, NH: October 12/13


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Hampshire » Jackson
October 13th 2013
Published: October 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Saturday:A misty start to the day saw us catch the 10.30am Conway Scenic Steam Train - we took an open carriage on the outward leg, but let sense rule on the way and sat in a closed carriage. The trip was only 55 mins, but there was plenty of enthusiastic whistle blowing and between the commentary we were treated to a variety of American mountain music - fiddle, banjo & accordion! Afterwards we were soon taking advantage of much needed hot coffee and muffins!!

Next on the itinerary was the Kancamagus Highway - a 35 miles stretch of road known for its scenery and foliage. It was a delight, and the icing on the cake was our bursting into sunshine and blue skies as we passed over a pass halfway along. We stopped at many viewpoints and took in a couple of walks - the toilets (restrooms!!) were closed at all the viewpoints on the road - americans take their shutdowns seriously!! Near the end of the road relief was found at a Mountain Resort/Adventure Park - here we also enjoyed another small (again, 'enormous' to you and I) ice-cream, before heading back to the misty side of the mountains!!

Sunday: Another misty day and so the summit of Mt Washington was looking only a faint possibilty. We headed into Jackson, enjoying its waterfall, its pumpkin people, its covered bridge, an art exhibit (Frank Shapleigh) and a library in a converted barn. All this merited a hot drink and the local cafe duly obliged!! In the afternoon we headed off towards Mt Washington, but as we rose it became obvious that an ascent through the thick mist would be pointless. We settled instead for the spectacular Glen Ellis waterfalls before returning to enjoy the views from our apartment. The day was finished off by a good meal in the Eagle Mountain Golf Club - we ate in the bar, accompanied by the screams of NE Patriots' fans whose team narrowly won the televised NFL match.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb