Stop inFallon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada
September 11th 2009
Published: September 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The first stop is Fallon, Nevada which is not the entertainment or gaming center of Nevada. However, it is the home of Top Gun Naval Air Station. It is also the location of one of Betty's oldest and dearest friends - Judy Carlson. Judy is an artist of national repute and Betty's mentor. They started with mutual respect and admiration, but their relationship evolved into deep caring and love. Betty often talked of Judy's impact on her life and how painting and art taught her about herself. I believe they were both greater because of each.

Now Fallon is not a favorite location as it was the site of a memorable event which befell the vacationing Betty and Dennis duo. This event took place in the early 80's as the dynamic ones in their new VW Vanagan (orange and cream of course) headed across Nevada. Dennis with camera in hand noticed railroad tracks off to west of US 95 and thought it would be wonderful to use the lines of the tracks to tell a story. However the story that unfolded was not the one he planned.

The adventurous one did not like the view at the safe secure road crossing, so he drove along the tracks to a much better photogenic spot (a mountain peak in the background). After the photos were taken and his ego satiated, he needed to turn around to head back to the crossing. Here is where the story gets sticky. Unaware of earlier rains, he drove into a level area, but found the ground to be actually about a foot of goo. The Vanagon wheels sank up to the hubs in this quick sand like adhesive mess. Not only would the Van not move, but his dumbness almost lost his boots as he tried to find solid ground. Eventually he was covered with gooey mud.

Betty did not have to worry about losing her shoes as she stood along the railroad bed high and dry. Every time I looked over at her, I would catch her with a frown and a sympathetic look, but I know this was just a cover for her smiling at the humorous sight I made.

To end this long story (over 3 hours), I was able to flag down a motorist (after siting on the center line of US 95 for 20+ minutes and who said US 50 was the loneliest highway) who contacted a tow truck operator in Fallow to pull the Van out of the mud. I know they were laughing about the California dufus who got stuck in the Nevada mud. The tow truck driver would not leave the paved surface as he smiled with his rational reasoning (I ain't that dumb), so he had to go back to Fallon for an additional 150 feet of cable. The driver also did not get muddy as there was no need for anyone other than myself to slug through the mud and connect the cable.

Eventually the van was pulled out (the tow truck had to be turn sideways to keep from being pulled off the pavement) and we were back on our way. However, we did make a stop at the Magic Wand car wash in Fallon to clean the underside of the Vanagon (I think they are still planting potatoes in the mud I brought to town). It took lotsa quarters and I got washed too. Of course Betty was right there cheering me on ( I can't remember what she said, but I sure big and dumb were used several times). She also dropped the serious act and spent much of the time pointing and laughing.

Another unique adventure never to be forgotten, however until Judy moved to Fallon, it did not show up on any of our Nevada maps or on our GPS.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb