Reno: The Biggest Little City in the World


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Reno
May 30th 2014
Published: May 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After nearly one month on the road, we are now heading east as we drove from San Francisco to Reno. We are at the halfway point of our Bucket List road trip. Still to explore are Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois and Michigan before arriving home.



It was a lot of fun staying in Reno for three days as we walked the city streets, visited various casinos and treated ourselves to those meals advertised as “$4.99 for steak and lobster”. Reno reminded me of Las Vegas twenty years ago. It really does have a small town atmosphere that is in contrast with the many huge casinos. The streets are lined with souvenir shops, pawn shops and liquor stores, all appearing to be in some distress. However, the city streets are clean and there are many open park areas where, during the summer, outdoor entertainers are abundant.



We left Reno driving across hwy 80, which is essentially the trail followed by the many emigrants who travelled to California from the east during the mid 1800’s. It is the main east/west route through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The drive is long but is interesting if
RenoRenoReno

What happens when you stay too long in Reno!
you take advantage of stopping in the small towns located just off the highway. In addition to Donner Pass, the beautiful scenery, the area is also known for its gold mining.



Today, we are planning to visit a pioneer village and the Crater of the Moon located in Idaho. Til next time...



Not too many photos as I am still recovering from our late nights in Reno, we actually stayed awake past 9:00 p.m.!



Hey, my friend "Ronald McDonald" are you reading these blogs?


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

tunnel thru the mountainstunnel thru the mountains
tunnel thru the mountains

Bill was very happy when he saw this!
Elko NevadaElko Nevada
Elko Nevada

typical of the towns along hwy 80, Elko is the biggest


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb