Wide Open


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Reno
June 4th 2008
Published: June 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

CIMG2800CIMG2800CIMG2800

We were wrong about Nevada.
Nevada:

We had been blessed to travel through such beautiful area on the western coast. WInding roads and potholes were small prices to pay for the view. After hitting Salinas, the romping grounds of Steinbeck, we made our way east, towards Salt Lake City. This brought us through Nevada. Starting from the evening, we drove late into the night. Ben drove through late evening and I picked up the reigns for the night/morning shift. Tim and Nate slept while we progressed the tour.
The Nevada freeway was ridiculous to say the least. Flat. Straight. Strong winds. Miles upon miles upon miles of no turns, no ups, no downs. Not to mention, for some reason, the road is perched slightly upwards from the ground, seemingly on a small hill, so your lights don't illuminate the sides of the roads. Instead, your lights create brooding shadows where any hapless creature could bolt out and christen you an animal killer. A mouse scampers out onto the road and ceased to exist henceforth as a living thing. The wind making the motorhome do barrel rolls, flying through midair, i'm trying to push the gas and the brake at the same time, keep the wheel
CIMG2803CIMG2803CIMG2803

The countryside is beautiful.
straight, the road is taunting me, animals launching themselves at the grill, other motorhomes rusted and bare on the side of the road.....dead.
Down to about a quarter tank of gas, a rest stop comes into view. We pull in and call it. Not too long into the stay, a crack of thunder shakes the ground. Judging by the sheer volume and omnipresence of the sound, its counterpart must've struck close by. Me and Tim awoke, however Ben and Nate remained in slumber, which is comforting to know in case someone hops into the motorhome and shoots a gun, that their sleep will continue unphased.

The Windshield Wiper:

Nate takes the second Nevada shift, ever vigilant. Alas, the unexpected. A rain begins to fall out of nowhere, taking us all by surprise. Defending his vision, Nate turns on the windshield wipers, only to send the driver side wiper catapulting off the side of the motorhome. The rain vanished, it's mission successful. We are left with one wiper and a metal claw, and so we progress.

*Update: we moved the passenger side wiper to the driver side, then put padding on the wiperless metal.

Actually in Wells:

I wake up, look out the window. There's snow on the ground.
It's June. Catch up nature. I go back to sleep.

I wake up again. Gas station. I go inside and see one of those over-sized tootsie rolls. I buy it and eat it.

-Sam



-Sam


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

CIMG2806CIMG2806
CIMG2806

The two letters on the mountainside are "BM." For the city of Battle Mountain. I, Benjamin, worked in a nursing home, so those initials mean something completely different to me. Hoe unfortunate!
CIMG2811CIMG2811
CIMG2811

June 4th, 2008. Yes. Snow.
CIMG2814CIMG2814
CIMG2814

Although ridiculous, the snow is beautiful.
CIMG2817CIMG2817
CIMG2817

We were driving on I-80 East from Reno to Salt Lake. Navigator had it easy.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb