Vegas. The Blackpool of the States


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
September 20th 2007
Published: October 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Vegas Baby!!

This was my "holiday" for the year: 9 days in Las Vegas, Nevada to help Ross and Sharon celebrate their wedding. For those that don't know, Ross was my roommate in the first year of university, and we have been mates ever since. I didn't get to go on the stag in Krakow, so I had to make do with the Vegas wedding instead!

Everyone says a week is all you need in Vegas, and it's true. The casinos are stunning, the Grand Canyon is amazing, but once you hawve done that there is not much else. Ross and Sharon stayed in New york, New York, which is a 1/3 replica of the skyscapers in NY; Richard and Jacqui stayed in the MGM Grand, the largest hotel in the world with a capacity of 5,005 guests, and Adam and Angela stayed in the Venetian, the most spectacular hotel on the strip (I stayed in the Sin City Hostel. Certainly less salubrious than the others).

On the Wednesday we took a helicopter down the Grand canyon: 45 minutes there, a champagne lunch in the Canyon, then 45 minutes back to Vegas. This goes into the top 3 experiences of the trip for me, and prompted Jacqui to demand to be transported everywhere by helicopter.

The wedding took place on the Friday with all the usual odds and ends that go on atweddings. The ceremony was typially English with no sign of Elvis or Marilyn or any drunk celebrities. After that eveyone else went home and I had a couple of days to enjoy the biggest indoor light show in the world downtown and visit Steve Davis' casino "The Golden Nugget".

All in all my 2 other favourite moments were going on the rides 102 stories above the strip at the Stratosphere, and witnessing a "typical" American tourist photographing the McDonalds golden Arches because they were a bit more sparkly than usual. That's Vegas baby!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

CanyonCanyon
Canyon

Ain't it Grand?
The wedding partyThe wedding party
The wedding party

minus the bride of course


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb